Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Sunday, January 24, 2010

Email update from Dad sent 1/23/2010

Today was another quiet day. Tiffany Smith came by again and she and Michael had a nice visit. Tiffany brought another monkey for Michael's growing collection. I've attached a picture of this stuffed "fan club".

Roxann's sister Carolyn and her husband Nelson Marks came to Washington and they all went to the temple together in the morning. It was a nice break for her. While she was away, Michael went to the physical therapy room and did 25 minutes on the stationary bike. He had a little sweat on his brow but not from the bike. It was about a million degrees in that room! He hates the heat. After Roxann got back, she took the opportunity to walk with Michael around the halls. I finally got a picture of her to prove she was here too.

Finally, I've enclosed pictures of the stone that was removed from his nose. It's next to a penny to show the size. One picture shows it laying flat and the other shows it standing on its side to show both the width and thickness of it. He must be greatly relieved to have it out of there. I know we are.


2 comments:

  1. Dearest Malarsie Family-
    I am a US Army Soldier and share the hometown of Troy, IL with SrA Smith. I never met Brad as I joined the Army in 1997 and had long been sent me on my way, but I shed tears none the less. I also shed tears at the difficulty that has faced your family over the past few weeks. I log on everyday just to see how Michael is doing and hoping that each day brings progress instead of steps backwards. Please know that you all are in my prayers. And I will continur to peek n and see how he is doing. Godspeed in his recovery.

    SGT Summer B Robinson
    US Army
    Baghdad, Iraq

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad roxann Got a chance to go to the temple. My prayers have been for that. I Love that temple. DC is my home in my heart, It hurts to ever leave when I go. I have been in fervert prayer for you all. Have felt that Love from Heaven for your family.You created a mirical, for so many people here in new mexico. I have never posted a blog until today so forgive me, if Im not very good at it. I'm pretty shy when it comes to writting on the computer. Blessings be to you. LILA

    ReplyDelete