Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Monday, January 18, 2010

Dad the Handyman

Michael is so grateful that he is able to be eating now, even though it's mostly soup and he has to drink it through a hospital grade straw.  So far all has gone well with that until today when he had a little difficulty.  Fortunately for him our dad is quite handy when it comes to solving problems so Michael got lucky!

His lunch today was potato soup and my dad said he looked over at Michael as he was eating and he was sucking so hard on the straw that it had gone completely flat.  Apparently the hospital straws are not big enough to pass the chunks of potatoes! 

So then Michael thought he would try a spoon, but he couldn't get his lips far enough apart to get the soup off the spoon so it was just spilling everywhere.  Poor Michael was getting so frustrated, so dad came to the rescue.  Michael now uses some medical tubing (previously unused of course) as a straw and he can suck up all kinds of things, including chunks! 

I think that just made Michael's day.  Oh dad, what would he do without you?!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sweet Family,

    My name is Melanie Roberts, the wife of SSGT William Roberts. I had the pleasure of meeting Michael when he was at Hurlburt in Tech School. My husband graduated with him in Falcon 75. Why they called him Badger, I'm sure I dont know.

    To make a long story short, we at the 15th ASOS here in Savannah, GA want to help Michael. I'm a RN and I work in the emergency rooms here. I would like to talk with you "Mom, Dad and Sister" about some things we are trying to get coordinated to help Michael.

    I've been following this blog every day. I have some amazing prayer warriors in my network who have been praying with me for our sweet friend. Please contact me as soon as you are able to at melmarie26@hotmail.com or 850.960.6066

    We love you Michael and so many people in Savannah, most you've never met, love you and want to help you however they can. Look foward to speaking with you all.

    Take Care,
    Melanie Roberts

    ReplyDelete