Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Friday, January 1, 2010

Here's whats been happenin ( Received December 16, 2009)

Hello everyone!

Well we got back from Wilson a few hours ago. We have been out a t a small outpost since Sunday morning doing patrols and stuff. Its quiet a change out here but its been a blast. I'm already getting used to hearing shooting and things blowing up nearby. The weirdest part is the bathrooms. Poopin in a plastic bag in an igloo jug is a whole new experience lol. And if you have to pee there is a piece of pipe stickin up out of the ground with a small piece of metal in front of it for privacy. Good times.
So far we've been out on four patrols. We had a really exciting one last night. We were inside the school where we were sleeping and heard the Afghan National Army (ANA) start shooting. We were already gearing up for a patrol so we decided to change it up and head out to where the shooting was happening. The nights are extremely dark out here so everything we do after the sun goes down is by NVG. Anyway, we started walking down the paths toward where the shooting had happened earlier. We found a few grape huts where the ANA had said whoever they were shooting at was hiding. After we looked around the outside of it a team went in to clear it. Just my luck, they find nothing but 8 foot tall marijuana plants. So we continued our patrol past the grape hut. As we are walking one of the guys sow some lights on the side of a nearby mountain where the locals had assured us the day prior that nobody ever goes. So first thing we do is call up a few attack helicopters. After showing them where we saw the lights they promptly fire six of their rockets into the mountain. After they finished and checked off with us we slowly walked back to our strong point.
Next Sunday the platoon we were with is heading back to the strong point and will be patrolling up into the mountains where we fired the rockets. I'll be doing everything I can to make sure I'm right there with them. They just got the .50 cal sniper out there too, I can't wait to get my hands on that.
It's been pretty exciting so far. The children love to watch us walk around. We pass through their little mud towns and they just follow us everywhere. Anything we do is funny to them. We would just jump up and down once and they would all just laugh. They are pretty interesting people. We were able to talk one of them into giving us one of their puppies which the Army guys promptly names "slayer".
Well I should be getting back to work. Thank you all for your emails and prayers. I'm sorry I can't take the time to write everyone back yet but I will get around to it. I'll keep you all posted on anything new! Please feel free to send this email out to anyone who might enjoy it!

Love, Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment