Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Sunday, January 17, 2010

An awesome phone call!

Yesterday was so great!  My mom text me in the morning and said Michael wants to talk to his sisters!  So we immediately called!  It was so great!  Words cannot express how grateful I was to hear his voice and talk to him.  He was a little hard to understand, since he has to talk through a wired mouth, but we were still able to hear from him and tell him how proud of him we are.  I hope we can continue to call and talk to him as time progresses.  It helps us to not feel so bad being so far away!  I'm still awaiting an update from my parents on the other things that happened yesterday but nothing can top our chance to hear from Michael!

2 comments:

  1. That's special, Kally. What a neat family you all are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am brought to tears each day I read this. I cry because I am so sad for Mike. I cry because I am so proud of MIke. I cry because of the sacrifice he made for me! I cry because I feel I need to do soemthing yet don't know what could possibly repay him or even help him feel the gratitude. I am amazed at how humble and brave he is. I pray for for Mike and his family daily. I also am a mom of military. My heart breaks for his mom. Yet I know she is so proud of him as we all are.
    Mike is a remarkable person and I am so very in awe of him. May God bless you.
    Kathy (Julie Vaughn's mom)

    ReplyDelete