Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Email update from Dad sent 1/25/2010

Well, it's been a long weekend. Michael losing the ability to speak to us after his last surgery really hit us all. Since we couldn't engage in any lively chit-chat, we listened to one of the audio books his friends brought him. Between the doctors and nurses that constantly come in to check vitals and the frequent passers by that stop to say hello, it was quite a task as the book was loaded on 14 discs. I guess I'll have to listen again as I seemed to have dozed off once or twice during the story. I guess I was a little tired. I didn't know Roxann was snapping pictures. (Note: This picture shows me sitting on his bed with my body turned. Trust me, I'm really not that wide!)



She also took a couple of shots of Michael holding his trach tube. For those who may not know, we have a granddaughter that was born premature and also has trach. We thought it was cute the way he held his just like little Eden holds hers.


He got a "field trip"to another area of the hospital this morning. They have a "tread wall" there. It's a vertical conveyor belt with hand holds on it like those on a climbing wall. The belt rotates and gives the illusion of climbing without the height. Michael had a blast. I just wish we would have remembered the camera.

Early in the afternoon, we got word they wanted to remove the trach tube from his neck tonight instead of tomorrow. It was great news but it came with a pain in the butt consequence. Since hospital policy prohibits one person from occupying more than one bed (or room) at a time, we had to pack up everything in Michael's room and move it. Posters, monkeys, bathrobe, slippers, radio, clock, cd's, six packs of Dr. Pepper, backpacks, and the rest of the accumulated booty were dragged through the halls only to be returned tomorrow. I am amazed at how quickly his stuff expanded!


Michael was a bit worried that he might have trouble breathing after the tube was removed. His worries proved fruitless as he was able to breath like a champ the second the tube was out. We look forward to seeing the opening heal as another step toward freedom is taken.


We continue to be amazed at the visitors this young man receives. Another batch of TACPs from Ft. Riley on their way to Iraq stopped by to pay their respects. They spent a little while with him before having to leave for the airport. I told them if anyone ended up in the hospital I was coming back to kick his butt. Their enthusiasm was so familiar. It was the same as Michael's before he went over. We pray for their safe return.

Another one of the Ft. Riley crew arrived later in the day. He went to the information desk to ask for directions. The man at the counter got ready to type in the patient name and when he heard "Airman Michael Malarsie", he dropped his hands from the keyboard. He's given the information so often, he knows where Michael is from memory. That might give you a small indication of how many visitors have come by to see him.

We're grateful for everyone's support. Your visits, cards, letters, emails, wishes, and especially your prayers are truly appreciated. Thanks to each and all of you from the bottom of our hearts.

Jim

3 comments:

  1. I know you have been probablly beeen asked this a million times, but Tabitha and david wanted to send a care package.They wanted to know how to get it to you guys. they have put you in thier prayers too. I love when kids pray, it is so instant in the way i think heaven responds. We truelly have felt so much when our thoughts are on your family. The Smiels. Herbalila@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE CLIMBING WALL! That is HUGE!!! Tell Mike we're jealous, we all haven't had a chance to get out to Kansas city to climb since the last time he was out there with us. I guess we better watch out because he's practicing to kick our butt's again! :-) We'd love to see pics next time-no pressure! Awesome news about the trach tube, no doubt that he would be just fine without it-like you said,one more step towards sweet freedom.
    You're still in our thoughts and prayers daily, keep up that amazing spirit you have Lassie!
    ~Chris and Katie Premo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a retired TACP and have been following you guys daily here. I had a trach for awhile myself and know how much fun that is, so I'm very glad to see Mike has had it removed, making another step forward. Its good to see Mike is in good spirits, and that he is getting a lot of support from family, friends, and the TACP community.

    ReplyDelete