Over the last couple days Michael has been able to communicate so much better by writing his thoughts on a clipboard as everyone gathers around. Yesterday, Michael had a couple friends in the room, along with my parents and Erin, and he grabbed his clipboard and started to write something down. Everyone gathered around and began to read it as he wrote. My mom said they were all expecting something somewhat profound, but here's what he said, "About four hours ago I had a dream about drinking Dr. Pepper and it was sooooo good." They all got a pretty good laugh out of it.
All joking aside though, poor Michael is so thirsty. Currently he is getting all his nutrition through a feeding tube so he isn't swallowing any liquids by mouth which has left his throat really dry. He keeps asking my mom to sneak him a drink, and he even wrote, "I won't tell anyone." Of course, this pulls at my mom's heart strings, but she can't give in because he can't have anything by mouth until he has a swallow study and they know for sure that he isn't aspirating (getting any liquids into his lungs when he swallows).
Fortunately for Michael, he has his swallow study tomorrow so hopefully he will get a big glass of water, and maybe even a Dr. Pepper as soon as it's over. :)
We love you Michael!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a great story. Thanks for putting this blog together and keeping all of us up to date. We think about you all so so much. Praying and hoping for the best.
ReplyDeleteAmber
Awe, those are neat stories. It's so sad though. I love Dr. Pepper. I am wearing my Dr. P tee right now! I'll have to make sure to get him a Dr. Pepper if we can make it out there. Thanks for the updates, Kally.
ReplyDeleteMike and family, I'm a retired TACP and just want to let you know that we are here for you when and whatever you need. Mike is in our thoughts and prayers on a daily basis. If you have needs, please feel free to contact the TACP Association on our facebook page.
ReplyDeleteHang in there Mike and keep fighting the good fight.
v/r
Jason Wallace
Oh Michael, I hope you get your Dr. Pepper soon! We all are so happy to hear about all of the progress he has made so far. Thank you for all the updates. Michael and your family are in my parents and my prayers everyday. Wishing you a speedy recovery Michael, we all are thinkin about you!
ReplyDeleteCheyenne C.
Michael,
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome! I just wanted to let you know that I'm always thinking about you throughout the day and I will continually pray for you. As you may know I've had a few difficult times as well during my life. Something that helped me get through those difficult times was knowing that there is always someone who has it worse off than I do. Through some of those difficult times I've realized that everything happens for a reason even though I really didn't want to believe it. I hope you can understand that we all wish we could be there to bear some of your burden and pains but are unable to do so. You are so blessed though because you have such amazing parents who will always be there to help you. You are amazing and I know that everything is going to be alright. Thanks for everything you have done for us and our country. I wish the very best for you and your entire family. Love Judd