Dear Uncle Michael,
I just wanted to write a little note (with my mommy’s help of course) to let you know how proud I am to call you my uncle. I love you and am so grateful that your life was spared that day in Afghanistan.
Right now, I think I know better than anyone what you’re going through as far as the hospital is concerned since I just recently did my own 4 ½ month stay there. I know what it’s like to lay in a bed day after day without movement. I know what it’s like to finally start to fall asleep only to have a nurse come and start poking and prodding you. I know what it’s like to hear the constant beeping of the machines. I know what it’s like to brace myself for some kind of pain every time I see the nurse or doctor coming. I know what it’s like to be unable to communicate with anyone when something hurts or is uncomfortable. I know what’s it’s like to overhear the doctors during rounds explaining some other problem they have found. I know what it’s like to daydream about leaving that place someday and feeling so frustrated and helpless with the constant pain and monotonous routines.
However, Uncle Michael, the experience of a hospital stay is not all bad. I also know what it’s like to experience the extreme outpouring of love and support from those you know, and those you don’t. I know what it’s like to have someone sit and hold my hand all day without having to speak. I know what it’s like to be ministered upon by angels and experience miracles from the Lord. I know what it’s like to be the recipient of such love and sacrifice that I had not understood up to that point, especially from my parents who love me just as yours do you.
I have confidence in you that you will make it through this experience and use it to better your life and testimony of the Gospel of the Lord. I know someday you will be able to look back on your hospital stay and realize the blessings that came from it.
I wish I could come there and visit you, just as you visited me in the hospital, but right now I’m not able to go on an airplane. So please know that we love you and miss you and pray for you every day.
Thank you for the sacrifices you have made to serve this wonderful country we live in. Thank you for offering yourself to defend our freedom. You have touched so many lives, and will continue to impact so many others as you continue your journey.
I love you Uncle Michael and look forward to seeing you again very soon. Don’t worry, your hospital time too will come to an end, and it will make you appreciate home more than any other experience ever has!
All my love,
Eden
P.S. I must also add that I feel we already have a special bond just because of the fact that we both have trachs and g-tubes. I mean, really, what other family is lucky enough to have two people with such cool medical devices? Someday it will be fun to compare scars… :o)
Eden, you are such a great neice! Your uncle is gonna be very proud of you! What you had to say, im sure will lift his spirts, because you too, have been where he is! Lisa, you are such a great mother, and sister! You have such a pro-found way of making people laugh, cry and rejoice! You have been threw so much and yet you still stay strong! I am proud to say that your brother is in my thoughts daily and i pray for him day and night as wwll as i do for you! I hope that his road to recovery is full of love, happiness and rejoice! So lisa, eden, brad, and micheals family, i am thinking of you guys always! Thank you Michael for all that you have done for this country! You are forever a hero in my eyes!
ReplyDeleteWow! Powerful, Lisa and Baby Eden! You are definitely brave warriors too! We think you're all awesome! Allen and Dana
ReplyDelete