Well, the surgery went well and he’s recovering. His lips and jaw are swelled up again but otherwise, he’s in pretty good shape. He’s still able to talk so we continue to watch for improvement. The biggest change is his appearance. While he was under sedation, the shaved his face, scrubbed him up, and washed his hair. He was not happy about the whiskers. He was part of a moustache growing contest and he’s obviously out of the running now. I told him it was probably an Army plot because this is an Army hospital and they would have to support their own in a contest of this nature. I got a chuckle out of him with that. It’s nice to see him laugh.
We’re constantly reminded how fortunate we are that Michael is doing as well as he is. The guy in the room next to his also has a head injury from an IED and has neurological damage. The doctors are having him use songs to help him improve. The words come from one side of the brain and the music comes from another. So far it seems he only knows a couple of Christmas songs and we’ve heard them multiple times. It can be unnerving but we’re cutting him a break considering the situation. I’ll know I’m in trouble when I start singing along with him. As I walk these halls and see the number of injured men and women being treated here, most of them young like Michael, I am painfully reminded of the price these men, women, and their families pay for the privilege and blessing of being Americans. One of the doctors treating Michael is a Colonel and he told us the Purple Heart medal that Michael was presented was made during World War II in preparation for the invasion of Japan. With the dropping of the atomic bombs, the invasion was unnecessary so there were hundreds of medals left over. The medal my son now holds was intended for a soldier who was part of what we’ve come to refer to as “The Greatest Generation”. I’m reminded time and again of my dad and the guys he hung out with at the VFW in Durango when I was a kid. I remember watching my brother John saying goodbye as he left our house on his way to Viet Nam. I envision Michael walking away from me at the Albuquerque airport as he left last Thanksgiving on his way back to Kansas and on to Afghanistan. These images blend in my mind to a scene where the three of them stand side by side in the uniforms they wore in service to this nation. I’m humbled to think these three generations and especially my father and my son would be willing brothers in a cause that could have cost them their lives. As I think of them and the rest of my family and friends that have served, I’m moved to tears by the love, gratitude, and pride I feel for each of them and the other members of my family that have served in the military. I am so blessed to be able to associate with these men, these American servicemen. God bless them!
To anyone that reads this blog and feels a desire to do something but doesn’t know what to do, remember there are hundreds like him. They live in cities and towns all across this country. I can almost guarantee there is someone nearer to you than you realize and you can find them. They’re the ones that deserve our respect, our thanks, and our well wishes. They are the ones Memorial Day is all about. When you see a veteran, and especially a disabled veteran, say “thank you for your service”, hold the door open for them, let them in ahead of you in the checkout line. Treat them with the dignity they’ve earned. After all, at some point in their lives, they willingly stood in harm’s way so you could have the life you live today.
Michael’s life will never be the same, neither will mine. My prayer for Michael is that his life will be filled with health, peace, joy, and success. I’ll do what I can to help him along that path. I hope that none of us can go back to the way we were before January 3rd and this event prompts us to improve as individuals and as Americans.
Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, and actions in behalf of Michael and our family. We have received strength and comfort as a result. May the Lord bless you for your kindness and concern.
Jim
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a beautiful entry. Thank you Bishop.
ReplyDeleteThank you Jim for the last part of the letter. I am Lisa friend and I look at this blog daily to see how her little brother is doing. I am so grateful for his service to keep me and my little family safe. Can you tell him thank you for me. Also, I am going to start saying thank you to those I see who have served and are serving in my behalf. I have always wanted to but for some reason I get shy or feel like I might annoy them or something like that. But I bet they would feel good to hear that we as free Americans appreciate all their sacrifice. Thank you for the eye opener.
ReplyDeleteThese posts are beautiful, Brother Malarsie. I tear up every time I read one. (You are quite the writer, too!)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for giving us a glimpse into what you're going through. It is a privilege to know your family and Michael and to be able to pray for you all.
Much love from the Little's.
(Interesting word verification: "holy men". I agree - the servicemen and women are all holy people.)
Wow! Jim, that was a very moving tribute to Michael and all other service men and women around the world. Thank you for sharing your very most inner thoughts and feelings with us. Your writing is powerful and evokes such emotion within me. I am truly touched and inspired by your comments. Please give Roxanne, yourself, and of course, Michael a big hug from us, and may all of you feel as much strength from us as we do from you! I am reminded daily as I read these posts of the truly incredible caliber of a young man that Michael is. He truly inspires us all with his sweet attitude and positive humor amidst such a huge challenge. Please let him know how much I appreciate his example as we deal with our own daily struggles(although they seem quite insignificant next to his). He truly helps me each day to put life into proper perspective. I so admire him for his strength. I know he is touching many other lives as well. We love you all and pray for you daily. Thanks again for these incredible, heartfelt posts! You're an awesome family! Love, Dana
ReplyDeleteJim, as I told you the other night, you can't have gone through this journey with Michael and think that you will ever be the same.
ReplyDeleteI have such love for this young man and so does all who have met him. My husband Will said "There was not one task I ever asked him to do that he complained about. He always did what he needed to do, without being asked, willingly and with a great attitude."
It's my prayer that what Michael has gone through for us is not in vain. I hope we can all be better for the pain he has endured. I for one will never be the same. Sending our love from Savannah, GA.