Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Saturday, February 27, 2010

Friday the 26th


Yesterday I mentioned Michael likes to stroke his whiskers. Here’s a picture of him doing it. Also, you’ll see this is one of the first pictures we’ve posted that will give you an idea of some of the facial injuries he sustained. If you look closely, you can see the scar running from his ear down to the bottom of his neck. That is where they had to do surgery to remove the shrapnel that was up against his artery. The other red spots are the numerous facial wounds he suffered.


This is Michael and one of the therapists doing a finger strength test. Michael impressed the therapist by being above the maximum strength in his hands. Because of that, they couldn't finish that test.



Here he is working on his belt project. He doesn’t like this much but it’s teaching “hand–brain” as opposed to “hand–eye” coordination. He’ll be glad when it’s over. He finished the belt in two days and the instructor said no one had ever done it that fast befiore. It usually takes more like two weeks. He asked Michael to think of some other project he'd like to do.  Michael can not think of any other thing he wants out of leather. He just doesn't want to do it at all.



His eyes continue to bother him. It got so bad today that he wet a towel and laid down with it draped on his eyelids trying to get some relief.  Last night while showering some water got into his right ear.  It hurt so badly that he laid down on his side to try and get it out so it would quit hurting.  He said he won't be getting water anywhere near it again.

Today Michael finally lost his cool. He went to the dental office expecting to get the plates out of his mouth. The dentist that saw him said he needed another appointment to see the oral surgeon. Michael went off on him and said he was told that same thing last week and now he’s hearing it again and it will cost him another week. He was so upset and irate about it that the dentist agreed to take an X-ray and look to see how the jaw was himself and decide what to do from there. He said if the jaw looked good enough, he might be able to remove the plates there today. After looking at the print however, they were shocked to find part of his jaw was still broken after all this time and hadn’t healed. Needless to say, the plates didn’t come out of his mouth and we’re now waiting to see what happens as a result of finding the break. 

All in all, most of the day was a bummer but it ended ok  It rained and he and his mom got soaked going from the dentist appointment back to the rehab center.  Afterwards, the sun came out and the evening was beautiful. He and his mom went to the Fisher House where a local group had brought in an excellent chicken dinner which enabled him to skip the hospital food. The dinner was followed by the opportunity for some quiet time to watch the Olympic hockey game on TV.  He is really looking forward to the USA/Canada game on Sunday.  After the good food and entertainment, he was ready to head back to his room for the night.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Just as the sun followed the storm there and evening proved to be the best part of the day, I'm confident that this tragedy will turn into something beautiful as well.  Michael has his life ahead of him and the love and support of so many people.  Although he's in the midst of struggling to adapt to his blindness and learning to be independant again,  I know he will come through this as he has challenges in the past - with head held high and looking forward to the future and whatever it brings.  As always, thanks for your support and don't forget to say your prayers. 




7 comments:

  1. Praying for a few less bumps in the road for Michael. Thanks for sharing his progress with us. We are so happy to hear about his determination and accomplishments, but really feel for him on days like these. May God continue to bless Michael and your whole family.

    Michelle Noyes
    Troy, IL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about the set back with removing the plates from your mouth. Hang in there in Michael! I know this is probably not nice to say, but I am glad you lost your cool. You deserve better treatment - you complain all you want! You are so strong. Our thoughts are with you. Please continue to be brave.

    Cathy Murray
    Lempster, NH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael, It sounds like they're keeping you pretty busy there. That's a really good thing. It breaks my heart to know what you've been through and are still going through. My prayers are still with you. I think about you alot and pray for your recovery. I'll be glad to see you when you come home. I'll try to keep up w/your blog. Craig and James came over and had dinner w/me not to long ago. We all miss you so much! Love, sis. Waseta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, I mailed a care package today. It shoud be there in 2-3 days. You will find that some fo the braille is printed off the card. YOu will find them. It really threw me for a lop trying to learn them. It took two days about 6 h ours a day to learn them all.. YES with my eyes closed. The hand written letters that I have inclosed in the package are created by first gluing cloth to cardboard and then gluing on each tiny rindstone to create the braille. I hope I spelled everything correctly. I know you will get a huge boost of positive energy when you open the box. Until next time. Your Buddy, JIMMY

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did order myself another set of braille playing cards. Im sort of hooked on playing solitare Braile style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael, maybe you should think about making a collar for your dog. Assistance dogs always wear a vest and usually a special collar. But your dog will need to have a special collar that tells the dog he is home and no longer "working".

    ReplyDelete
  7. MICHAEL. It looks as though you will miss the first parade. Albuquerque has done away with the St. Patricks Day parade. Replacing it is the First annual VETERAN'S SALUTE PARADE. I have registered to drive the "Michael Malarsie WOunded Warrior Project Mustang" in the parade. I'm sure that I can get a very large group of supporters to march in front and behind me. The parade starts at the VA hospital. Turns right and proceeds down Gibson turing left onto Louisiana then into the Veteran's Memorial for a day of festivities. I really need YOU to do the driving for me as I will be a total emotional wreck. Last year in the Veteran's Day parade I cried uncontrollably the entire way. Every inch of parade route I held my black leather Air Force ball cap out the window with my left hand. Waving it proudly. Wiping the tears from my eyes with my right hand. Steering with my knee. I will not be waving that cap in this parade. It is no longer in my posession. I no longer own it. YOU DO. Please wear it with pride. Forever, JIMMY

    ReplyDelete