Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Wednesday, February 10, 2010

We love you Durango!




This past weekend we had a fundraiser event for Michael in Durango, Colorado and it exceeded all of our expectations.  It was such a huge success!  We cannot even begin to express the gratitude we feel for all that went into this event.  Thank you to everyone who donated such amazing items for the auctions and raffle, thank you to everyone who worked so hard on putting it together, and making the food, and a huge thank you to everyone who attended and were so generous with their monetary support for Michael. 

When I told Michael about the success of the event he was speechless.  He couldn't believe that so much was being done just for him.  He wanted to send his heartfelt gratitude out to everyone who played a role in making this a truely memorable event. 

There were so many things that happened that night that I will never forget, things that showed me the generousity, gratitude and love people have for Michael, and other soldiers like him who sacrifice so much to serve our wonderful country.   One particular thing that happened that truely touched me involved a signed Colorado Avalanche hockey jersey.  This particular team is Michael's favorite hockey team so the jersey is something we all knew he would absolutely love to have.  Originally the jersey was going to be auctioned off in the live auction, so when the time came to sell it, the auctioneer explained that the jersey was something Michael would really love.  He said, "We will auction off this jersey tonight, but just know that the person who buys this won't be going home with anything.  If you buy this jersey, you are buying it for Michael."   The jersey ended up selling for around $900.00 to a man who has never even met Michael, and we came home with the jersey for Michael to have as soon as he gets home.  It brings tears to my eyes again as I write about this touching experience.  Thank you to the generous man who bought this jersey for Michael, and thank you to everyone who purchased items and contributed money.  This experience taught me a lot.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you again.  We love Durango and all our family and friends who made this happen.

1 comment:

  1. To All of You that attended the Durango fundrasiser,

    As I read the account and watched the slides of the Durango event, I too was moved to tears (again!). Roxann, Michael, and I were all overwhelmed by the reports we got the morning after the fundraiser. Had I been there, I would have spent most of the evening apologizing for being a crybaby. I've always been emotional but this month has taken me to new highs and lows on the emotional scale. This would certainly be on the high end. I believe that you and your actions are a significant part of the reason men and women just like Michael are willing to continue putting themselves in harm's way. They know how blessed we are to live in a country filled with folks like you and they want to preserve that as well as offer the hope and/or opportunity for the same to citizens of other nations. I have been and will always be proud to call Durango my home town. My family has been deeply touched by your generosity and support for Michael. It is my hope and prayer that God will bless you richly for your actions. "Thank You" seems like such an impotent phrase when I ponder the feelings I want to express. Until I'm better able to communicate those feelings, please accept my thanks, my love, and my fondest best wishes. Also, please pass them on to anyone who took part in any way of this beautiful event.

    Sincerely,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete