Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Friday, February 12, 2010

East Coast - West Coast, We Can't Get Much Farther Apart.

Ok, I was supposed to leave on Tuesday the 9th but the weather cancelled all flights out of here. The next available flight was on Friday the 12th and I was booked and scheduled to fly from here to Atlanta and then back to Albuquerque. I just got an email telling me that the Atlanta to Albuquerque flight is now cancelled with no other alternate available. I know I said I hated being stuck in Washington but I am equally unhappy with being stuck in Atlanta. At least here, I have a hotel room. Needless to say, I am not a "happy camper". I'm considering AMTRACK. If I catch the 11:00 at Union Station tomorrow, I'll be in Albuquerque Sunday at 5:30 pm. It might be faster.


Here's what it looks like where I am.


I went out today just to get some air and nearly busted my butt. The sidewalks are snowpacked and good to walk on but the iron grates over the ventilator shafts are slick as slick can be. When you're going downhill with a tailwind, they can sneak up on you. Fortunately, I didn't go down in a heap or pull a muscle while "moonwalking" across but it sure caught me off guard. I looked around to see if anyone witnessed what happened but nobody seemed to notice. A little farther on, I looked in the window of a beauty salon and saw all four beauticians sitting around with nothing to do so I decided to get a haircut and beard trim. I learned the hard way to negotiate a firm price before the cut next time. I didn't realize I would end up paying for all of their lunch! Maybe they were Washington Redskins because I got "scalped". Oh well, I may not have a home but at least I don't look homeless.


My sweetheart really didn't do much to lift my spirits either when she told me that she and Michael were sitting on a patio soaking up the sun and looking at the orange and flowering trees growing around the hospital. ARGHHH! Michael really loved the sun shining on his face. He also liked the sound of a bird singing in a nearby tree.




I was glad to hear they were doing ok and had met with the doctor who promised to look into getting Michael's jaw unwired this week. They'll take him in for an x-ray and let us know. We have our fingers crossed. As long as they don't have to schedule it with Delta Airlines, there's a chance it will go as scheduled. Here's a picture of the hospital (see the flowers on the trees?).

The other place is the "Fisher House" where Roxann is staying. The picture is taken from the window in Michael's room. In Washington, we had to catch a shuttle and drive a few miles, here she can just walk across the lawn.


Roxann got her name added to Michael's "Duh" list with mine. She got his shower all set up and gave him a little plastic jar of body wash. Later, she used the same stuff when she took a shower. Something didn't feel right so she got her glasses and read the label. It was mouthwash, not shampoo! She asked Michael if he thought it felt too runny and he said it did but it smelled good so he used it anyway. Good thing is wasn't Listerine or they both might experience a little "burning".


Well, that's it for now. As Roxann updates me and I get more info, I'll keep you posted. As always - don't forget to say your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment