Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thursday - 02/25

Michael is enjoying his "new digs" at the Western Blind Center. He doesn't miss the nurses & attendants, poking & prodding, and checks & counterchecks from the hospital. Unfortunately, one thing he wishes he could have left behind is the hospital cafeteria food. The same happy-go-lucky crew of food service workers prepare the meals at the WBC as well. Who would imagine that a field trip to Taco Bell or Burger King would rank right up there with steak and lobster? He's all settled in to his new room now. Here's a picture of Michael trying out the new bed.



He continues to listen to music and audio books when he isn't busy with something else. He's moving right along through the ones he's received from friends. We got word of a website that checks out books to military personnel and family. When he's through with the ones he has, we might try there. Here he is with the remote to the CD player. It's nice to see him keeping a grip on his cane too. It will soon be an extension of his body - might as well get used to it.


The nurses told Michael and Roxann that they do a bed check every night to make sure no one is missing. Michael told the nurse he was going to set a booby trap to catch her if she came snooping around his room at night. She told him to go ahead and try it as it wouldn't be the first time.

His bed was hard and the pillow was flat so he and his mom went to the store and bought one of those "egg carton" foam mattress pads and a new pillow. It's much better now. He has to make his own bed every morning. Here's a picture to prove it. He didn't make his bed at home so I wasn't sure he knew how. I know the military requires it to be done but I figured he'd bribed someone to do it for him :-).






Michael is always stroking his whiskers. I don't know if he likes the feel or if he's hoping it will help them grow. Here he is holding his razor just before he cut the sides off and made a goatee.




He started to learn the guitar a few months ago. He was thrilled to find out they had one here to check out. Here's a shot of him practicing. As you can see behind him, the Dr. Pepper donors are still alive and well.


A thoughtful person in Colorado sent him an Avalanche shirt. They are his favorite hockey team and he was thrilled to get it. He didn't want to take it off.



Michael and his buddies had developed a scale to rate the opposite gender. He tried to teach it to his mom so she could help him rate the nurses and female visitors that go through the place. When she told me about it, she wasn’t too thrilled with the idea. It’s good to know she has her limits in what she'll do for him.


His eyes have been giving him fits. They itch and burn all the time. They complained to the doctors and they tried a different medicine. I hope it works because he's sure been miserable lately. Here are the eye doctors taking out some stitches. They didn't remove them all but every one is a step closer to the last one being gone. Sometime down the road he'll have cosmetic surgery to fix his eyelids and also a procedure to hopefully fix his eardrum. I'm looking forward to both as we'll be so much farther down the road then.



He mentioned an interest in trying the banjo. A coworker of mine jumped on that like a duck on a June bug. He now has a rental banjo and a months worth of lessons to see if he really wants to learn it. I hope the folks in the WBC with him like the banjo too. It's also nice to see he can multi-task. One of these pictures shows him talking on the phone while he strums along.


We found out Michael's computer and our home computer could link and video call. It was so nice to actually see Roxann and Michael as well as talk to them. I can't wait for the chance to link up and talk again. While I was waiting today, I got into the emails that Lisa has been forwarding for him. Before I knew it I was sobbing. Reading the kind words and well wishes from so many folks touched me deeply. I thought I was through the emotional part of this but I was only kidding myself. Thank you all for your concern and support. I can't begin to express my gratitude for you. We have received a tremendous amount of strength and courage from reading your words and feeling the influence of the Lord in response to your prayers. May the Lord bless you for your kindness. As I've said so often, keep up the prayers. We have a long road ahead of us and we can certainly use your support. Thanks again.




5 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled to hear that Michael and Roxann got moved smoothly! I hope that you all are doing well with the transitions that are occurring. I can't express how lucky we all are to have such an incredible and strong willed person in our lives. I think about you and your family daily and pray that all is well with you guys.
    Lots of love!
    Amanda (KS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice update. Michael looks good--he's always looked good! ;) I'm happy to see him playing guitar and the banjo is an awesome goal. I know of some really great talks Michael might enjoy; I'll forward the links/cds to you if I can find out what they are called. We love you, from the East . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, so happy to see you don't forget your Kansas ties-flannel, blue jeans and a banjo, can you strum us a little bluegrass?! (Chris was pretty pumped to see you sporting the flannel especially, he did tote that shirt all over D.C. in an Abercrombie bag with the picture of a male model on the outside of it. ;-)

    So happy to see you and your mom are adjusting well and making yourself at home. Keep inspiring us and know that we keep you and your family in our thoughts daily! YOU ROCK!

    ~Katie and Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa thank you so much for continuing to update everyone on Micheal. It is great to see the progression he has had.
    I did not know him. But I always consider TACP Romads family as my dad was a Tacp and now retired.

    Micheal.....GREAT JOB!!! Keep fighting! And my prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MICHAEL... I am now your official guitar teacher. I started playing guitar in 1963. Have played professionally.I also wrote and SOLD a song. I plan to sing the National Anthem at Noon on March 13th. That's exciting. But,what I am really the most excited about is that I have (in the past two weeks) learned how to read and write braille. YES< with my eyes closed.!!! I stayed up all night last night learning to read blind playing cards. I can hardly wait to kick your butt in Gin Rummy. It that your banjo? Can you play it? How long have you been playing guitar? If the guitar is a cheep one it will be a lot harder to chord. I have a takamine 12 string, and six string. I also have one of thevery first ever made Ovations Nylon strings the Goldsboro dark wood. Don't become discouraged if your hands cramp. The little finger on my picking hand use to really cramp all the time . For years. But, four months half of my little finger was amputated. Now there are no cramps. Who whould have guessed that an amputated finger would improve my guitar playing. I will send you a package and a hand written braille letter along with a couple of cds (and a pack of braille playing cards) I will get you correct mailing address asap. Until next time... JIMMY

    ReplyDelete