Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Michael's Schedule

Here is Michael using the cane for the first time.  My mom said he did such an awesome job walking around the hospital grounds and through the hospital hallways.
Ms. California came to the hospital and met Michael. We got some pictures of them together. She also gave  him an autographed picture which he thought was pretty cool.
Here are the pictures mom took while he was learning to count and fold his money.  As my mom was talking to me about this I could hear Michael in the background saying that he's going to make up his own way to remember. :)  Mr. independent.
These doctors are taking the wires out of his mouth.  He said it was really painful, but well worth it because he's so happy they are gone!
For those of you who know Michael well you will know that he's not a very big fan of Valentine's Day.  However, I think it's safe to say that he liked this Valentine that someone left for him on his table.

My mom says the internet is still down at the hospital and today the power has gone out too!!  What kind of place are they in?  (That's totally a joke - apparently the power is out all throughout the region, not just the hospital).  Hopefully it will all be up and running again shortly.  Or, to make it even better, hopefully Michael will be out of there really soon!  They say they are just waiting for a bed to open up for Michael and he is ready to transfer over to the blind school. 

Right now his days are pretty well scheduled and booked so it keeps him pretty busy, although he isn't too fond of a lot of the things they have him doing.

9-10 am is the neuro-psych tests to make sure his brain is functioning properly.  He finds it really boring and so easy to pass all the tests they give him so he thinks it's a huge waste of time.

10-11 am is physical therapy which he enjoys because it feels good to get a little bit of movement and exercise.

11-12 is occupational therapy which includes activities like folding money, using the cane, and other hands-on type activities.

1-2pm is speech and language pathology which he finds annoying.  Because of the jaw problems, and having had a trach, they are monitoring his breathing and swallowing so he thinks its really awkward that they come watch him swallow peaches.  :)

2 pm the social worker comes and meets with him each day.

2:30-3pm is recreational therapy which he absolutely loves, but is only 30 minutes long!

And finally, the last thing of the day, from 3-4pm is blind rehab therapy which is his favorite.  He can't wait to get into the school so that this is the stuff he can work on all day.

7 comments:

  1. Cheers to you Michael. Checking in everyday... You are in my heart, my thoughts, and my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading the blog and I am amazed & inspired by Lassie's strength and good nature. I had just PCS'd from the ASOS to VA when I heard the news. My heart goes out to both families and I will continue to pray for him and his continued recovery.
    Sharice Hawthorne
    "supply diva" lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Speech Pathologist at the Albuquerque VA - I love reading about Michael's progress. And ... believe it or not ... you get accustomed to the minute details of chewing and swallowing... I loved the remark re: speech and watching the peaches... hahahaha ... give Michael our best - he is in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there was a plane crash that hit a power station there and caused the outages. since i am right down the road i'd like to visit some time.....palo alto has sprinkles cupcakes too so he might enjoy some of those ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have written a rather lengthy letter to Michael and posted it on my blog. Will somebody please find some way to read it to Michael. I know that by doing so it would really lift his spirits,and mine. My blog is www.wwpmustang.blogspot.com Thank you all very much, I do appreciate it. Sincerely, JIMMY

    ReplyDelete