Look what he finally agreed to do! Saturday we located an outdoor mall with several shops. Michael's goal was to get some new clothes. It seems he was not too comfortable with his mother helping him pick clothes for some reason, but we were able to work out a system. I picked a shirt I thought he would like, he tried it on, and I sent a picture on my phone to his little sister for a yes or no. It was a success and he ended up getting two pair of pants and two shirts. We decided next trip he will take someone a little closer to his age group. Might be a little simpler for all involved. As we were walking around I mentioned that I saw a hair salon and he said perhaps it was time for a trim. He wouldn't let her cut too much but it does look better.
Another stop was a cell phone store. There is a cell phone that has been ordered for Michael at the blind school that has software on it for people that are blind. With this new phone, he will be able to independently talk and send text messages--a part of his life he has missed. The phone's camera acts as a scanner and the phone will read back what the screen sees. The keys will also provide audio so he;ll know what he's typing and the phone will tell him what it receives. We're all looking forward to him being able to communicate with "the outside world" again.
Sunday we found the church that happens to be very close to where Michael is staying. It is the Singles Ward for Standford University. Michael was a little apprehensive about going to a Singles Ward with his mom and her friend Julie but the people were extremely friendly and welcoming. Hopefully, by the next Sunday we will be able to get Michael his slacks and tie. This is the first photograph we have posted of Michael's whole face. We figured enough time had passed and we were ready for you all to see him. Please understand, he is not self concious, we were concerned for our family and friends, and especially his niece and nephews, that had no idea of the extent of his injuries. Believe me when I tell you he looks two hundred percent better than he did when he first got to the U.S.A. We continue to give thanks to God for sparing his life and helping him to heal as quickly as he is.
After church, Michael didn't want to miss the hockey game between Team USA and Team Canada. Here he is watching it in my room at the Fisher House. Obviously he was disappointed that Team USA didn't win but as most of the Canada players are on NHL teams, it wasn't a total loss. Besides, what a game it was - sudden death overtime! Speaking of Fisher House, I must mention how grateful I am for these people and their generosity. Elizabeth and Zachary Fisher are the founders of the organization that provides this facility. The Fisher House is a home that provides high qualaity, temporary lodging for families of veterans and active duty military personnel who are undergoing treatment at a VA hospital. There are many of them throughout the country. I am grateful for this one in Palo Alto that allows family to stay close to Michael.
Michael continues to make progress. As we all do, he has his good days and his not-so-good days. Fortunately, the good outnumber the bad. His strength of will and desire to learn are serving him well. We're thankful he is a strong young man and has the desire to make the best of this. We're also thankful for all the wonderful people that have offered support in his and our family's behalf. Having this support has truly been a blessing. Thank you all so much.
Roxann
Michael, I'm so gald that you are out shopping. Shopping seems to be a great healing medicine. At least it works for me. I ordered some braile writing supplies. It will be easier to write to you. The gluing of the individual rindstones on cloth seems to be highly time consuming. Im also happy to hear that they make blind cell phones. I still dont own one. But, now that you are getting into the swing of things I may have to break down and purchase a cell phone of my own. Im so glad that you are feeling better. I'm smiling. and so is God. Your Buddy, Jimmy
ReplyDelete...And now I have learned that in order to write braille I have to do it BACKWARDS. EEEEKKKKKKKKSSS
ReplyDeleteMichael you strength courage and additue amazes and up lifts me and the people around me. Here at the salerno Hospital in Afghanistan we are so excited to see a new post. Your doing great things keep it up.
ReplyDeleteMICHAEL.I will mail a bubble wrap lined envelope mailer tomorrow. (It is to keep all the dots on the letter from getting smashed down in the mail.) It should be there by saturday. I am having a blast learning to write braille. Your Buddy JIMMY
ReplyDeleteMICHAEL, God is not letting me sleep. I stayed up most of the night working on event stuff. I also decided to send you a very special gift. I had planned to give it to you when you get home. But, I know you need it now. I will mail it today along with a bubble lined letter mailer. I suggest that you keep the box so you can mail things home in it. Have a great day. Your Buddy Jimmy. (Im ready for an ice cold Dr.Pepper.)
ReplyDelete