Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Message from Dad: The Last Surgery at Walter Reed!

Yesterday ended up pretty good.  He got to visit with his newest nephew and niece a while.
Then his sister did a hand massage and put lotion on for him. Yours truly (dad) did his feet because everybody else is freaked out by touching anybody's foot that's over the age of four. 
Michael's supper is supposed to be strained but it wasn't.  Before we knew it, he was locked up tight. Kally used her past dental experience to pick the small pieces of chicken (from the chicken soup) out of his wires and teeth. As a result, he didn't get the dinner he planned prior to his surgery.  He really didn't mind though because you get to the point where you don't really miss eating the same stuff anyway.
This morning, we went to the "family room" and read emails from all those out there supporting him (and us) and sending words of encouragement. 

We thought we had some time so Roxann, Tiffany, Kally, and the babies went to the cafeteria to get a bite. No sooner had they gone and the operating room called to get Michael prepped.  They came and took him and I called to tell the girls.  It was a tearful goodbye for his sisters because it was so rushed and they would have to leave before he got out to catch their flight home.  I know it was good for them to be able to see him. (We're all looking forward to Lisa getting her turn). 

Then it was off to the operating room where everything went well.   He was glad to have it over - the last surgery at WRAMC!  The wait in the recovery room is tough though. It was really hot, noisy, and he just has to sit and wait for the medicine to wear off.  His mom sat with him for a while and then I got to.  By that time, his eye was hurting like crazy but if he got more pain medicine, they would have to keep him longer. He decided to tough it out and not take the shot.  In the midst of that wait, he asked for a piece of paper and wrote another note and handed it to his mom. 
Once again, his first words were a thank you to the docs.  He continues to surprise us.  Shortly after they let him go and as soon as he was back in his regular room, he couldn't stand the pain any longer and got a shot.
We received some mail and opened it for Michael.  We read the notes and letters and told him what the boxes contained.  It pretty much kicked his butt and the rest of the day was pretty quiet.

One of the eye doctors from the trauma team came by to see him and check on his condition. Michael was pretty tired so the check went quickly.  After he was done, the doctor stopped to talk to me for a while.  He asked if I would give him our email address as he wanted to keep in touch and follow Michael's progress. I looked puzzled and he told me he felt so impressed by Michael's attitude and behavior that he wanted to keep in the loop and see where this went. He said Michael had left an impression on so many of them and he felt certain Michael would continue to touch people as he continued on his "new path".  His sincerity brought me to tears (not that it takes much to do that these days!). 

I continue to thank God for allowing my son to survive the explosion and for his progress to date. I also thank Him for all of the wonderful people out there following this blog and offering their thoughts and prayers in his behalf.  And as always, a special thanks to my family for your support and help.  I have come to fully understand why the family is an essential and integral part of God's plan for us here.

Talk to you all later ....................

6 comments:

  1. I hope he likes the puzzle. After he solves it he should loan it to his Occupational Therapist,to check her thinking skills. Take care.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the Malarsie Family,

    Please tell Michael that my family is praying for him and is always in our thoughs. I have been trying to make my way up there but unable at this time do to an upcoming surgery. Once I am cleared no matter where he is I will stop in to see him. Michael was my best troop and one what would stick with me the rest of my life no matter what. I wish there were more like him with his drive and attitude.

    David Blackmore & Family......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope You continue this blog in California,I want to follow Michael's progress.I pray for Him every night before I go to bed,He was one of Brad's best friends.all We have is memories of brad now.one day I would like to meet Michael face to face and thank Him for the sacrifice He has given for Us all.
    Don McBeth SGM (ret)
    Brad's Papaw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Michael,

    Our family has come to know about you through our daughter, Samantha Murray and Nate. I have wanted to post a message to you but felt I could not find the words to tell you how your recovery has touch my heart. I look forward to reading the postings from your family - thank you for sharing this.

    You are such an example for us all, a truly brave young man.

    Thank you Michael Marlarsie.

    Very best regards to you.
    Cathy Murray

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, Im so looking forward to being a part of your fundraiser. I am happy to read all the positive reports that I find in the blogs. SO grateful that you are healing. I can hardly wait to live the day when I finally meet you in person. You have become a very strong part of my life. I Thank You for that, Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a blog. WWPmustang.blogspot.com I ask that all of michaels friends check it out. Jimmy

    ReplyDelete