Well, here I am in Washington, DC for the storm of the century, Part 2! Fortunately, my wife and son made it to California and are on their way to the hospital from Travis Air Force Base.
Roxann called me this morning and told me about their trip. Their journey started yesterday morning at about 9:00 as they flew west on an Air Force C-17 cargo plane. Michael made the trip strapped to a stretcher and said it wasn't the most comfortable thing he'd done. Roxann rode in a jump seat and felt the same way. She was worried because there were no windows and asked one of the crew what to do if she got sick. The crewmember shrugged and made that “please don’t talk that way” face and gave her a baggie "just in case". She spent the trip clutching her baggie and fortunately, didn't need it. They made stops at bases in Illinois and Washington where they unloaded people and stuff and loaded other people and other stuff. They arrived in California at Travis AFB after nearly 12 hours in the plane.
Michael said the hospital at Travis was better because the bed didn't inflate all night and disturb him. Roxann said it was a nice facility as well. The kitchen staff must be the same however as they had to reorder Michael's breakfast because they sent regular food. Roxann said the weather was great, the temperature was in the 60's, the grass and trees were green and everything was looking good. When I was talking to her they were enroute to the rehab center and she would call when they arrived.
Our conversation was interrupted by a call from the front desk at my hotel telling me I was scheduled to check out today. They asked if I had any paperwork extending my stay and I informed them I never had any paperwork to be here in the first place. I think I should have responded differently as the desk clerk quit breathing for a few seconds. I told her I would make some calls and get things straight. I don’t know what will happen next but they’ll have to get a deputy on scene before they be able to boot me out of this room! I had a flight scheduled for 2:00 pm today but it was cancelled and rescheduled for Friday. At the rate it’s snowing, I’m not sure that will go either. Other than being able to walk down to the restaurant to eat, I’m not sure jail would be much different (as long as I don’t get stuck with a roommate). (Pardon my attitude: I’ve been with my wife 24/7 and my son nearly that much for over a month. I’m going through a mild case of sensory deprivation.)
Ok, my room is taken care of! Thankfully not everyone in the Federal Government is off today and someone was able get things straightened out. As I hear from Roxann, I’ll update this blog. For now, it’s about the only option. I tried to show her how to do updates and how to upload pictures but I didn’t have much success. One way or the other, we’ll keep the information flowing.
Keep the prayers going please? Pray for Michael - his recovery and his soon to begin training. Pray that Roxann will be able to keep us updated. Pray that the blasted snow in Washington DC will quit (soon)! Pray my next flight gets me out of here. Heck, pray for anything you want to as long as it’s good. I’ve determined prayer is effective in so many ways and I’m absolutely certain it’s been a huge part of Michael’s progress to date.
Thanks for all your support.
Sincerely,
Dad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
praying for all of the above......and like i said before....i'm right down the road from palo alto in san jose if you folks need anything. us old ROMADS are more than happy to help out in whatever ways we can.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing Mike's recovery with us. It has helped alot to ease our hearts knowing he is so very brave. I know you are so very proud of him. I will continue to pray for him and for you, Roxanne and your family. I have not had the privledge of meeting you though I know you must be wonderful people because Mike is such a strong humble couragous young man. My heart goes out to you as I too have a son on his way to Iraq shortly. God bless all of you and a special blessing for Mike.
ReplyDeleteKathy (Julie Vaughn's mom)