Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Monday, May 31, 2010

A day to remember...

    This year Memorial Day has a whole new meaning to me. I was raised to always be grateful for the sacrifices that this nations service members had made. I joined the military on May 15th  2007 and my outlook really changed but it was still so basic, so fleeting. I always said thank you and moved on with my day. I can finally say, along with a lot of you, that I truly do understand and appreciate the things that our service members have given up for this country. I had the honor of fighting alongside  some of the greatest men I will ever know. Four of them gave everything they had for what they believed in and what this nation represents. Brad Smith, Josh Lengstorf, Brian Bowman, and John Dion...I will never forget the time I had with you all. The long hot days, the cold nights, the sheer boredom, and the danger. In such a short time, less than a month, I felt a bond with these men that changed my life. The hardest thing I have had to deal with is the fact that I will never be able to talk with these heroes again. My life will never be the same, I will never forget these names. I will always pray for their families and loved ones.

    I want to take a moment and thank every member of our Armed Forces. From the wars that were fought to begin our country to the ones that were fought to protect those who couldn't protect themselves. I want to thank you all for everything you have done. I want to thank not only those who have experienced war first hand but those who played any role at all in our military. We all have given some, some gave all. Let us never forget and let our support for those still serving never fade.

    Pray for the families who have lost husbands, sons, brothers, wives, daughters, and sisters. Pray for the men and women still in harms way, pray for the wounded still recovering. Pray for this nation, let it never forget, let us never forget.

    Lastly I want to thank the families and friends of our military members. Without the support and the love from the people we care about the things we do would seem much less meaningful. I was blessed to be able to experience the miracles that an amazing family, unit, community, and complete strangers can work. The prayers and cards and packages were the driving force behind me. The things that you all did for me were what made it worth the sacrifice. I hope that we all can continue to support our troops in every way that we can. They will always have my respect as well as you all. I can never thank you enough for what you all have done for me.

3 comments:

  1. hey michael. That was beautiful. i hope ur recovering well. and i miss u. hope to see u soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,
    I found your blog through a blog called The Painted Cupboard. I just wanted to say thank you for your service to this country. I'm sorry for the friends you lost. But thank you for writing about them, and for writing about your experiences so that I can have an appreciation for the sacrifices you all have made, and continue to make on behalf of us and our country. I will think about Memorial Day differently from now on. May you and yours receive God's Blessings every day.
    - Michiganhome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,

    My Wife and I have been following your blog for a while now. We check in as often as we can to get updated on your progress. I am amazed at your positive outlook and your will to move forward. We had the honor of being a part of Brad Smith's motorcade escort from Scott AFB to his home town back in January. It was the least we could do to honor his memory.


    After all that you have been through, you still take time to honor your fallen comrades. That speaks volumes of your character and makes me proud to have served in the same Air Force as you. Best wishes to you and your family, we are proud of you Michael.

    ReplyDelete