Roxann and Michael are home! I can't begin to tell you how excited I was for their flight to arrive. Some friends in the TSA were able to escort the sisters and I to the gate to see them get off the plane. We could hardly wait. When the plane came in, the gate agent announced to the crowd that the first person getting off had been wounded in Afghanistan and was finally getting home after a long stay in the hospital. The whole crowd stood and cheered as Michael came through the door. We found out the pilots on both flights from California had done something similar on the plane PA system.
As we came through the doors at the security gate, the first sight was Michael's neice and nephews waiting with their signs. They were so happy to see him. They rushed to get a hug and nearly toppled him when they wrapped their little arms around his legs. He took turns giving each a tight squeeze and whispering in their ears. It was touching to see the love these little ones displayed and the joy they felt at having him back home.
Notice the camera man in this picture? When Michael found out there would be media coverage at his arrival, it cemented a plan he had been considering for a few days. It seems he has developed a deep affection for Jesse, who he met in Palo Alto when she came with Tiffany Smith for a visit back in March. After greeting the little ones, who didn't give anyone else a chance to get there first, he gave Jesse a hug and quickly dropped down one one knee and asked for her hand in marriage. Needless to say, we were all a bit surprised but there was no hesitation on his part. With cameras rolling and flashing cameras all around, she accepted the offer.Once that moment was past, Michael stood and walked around the airport signs into the throng that eagerly awaited him.
There was a corridor of flags and signs stretching half way through the terminal. The Blue Star Mothers, the Patrior Guard motorcycle riders, and countless friends, family and strangers clapped and cheered as Michael made his way through the crowd. A number of people passing by stopped and joined the celebration as well.
It was very touching to witness this outpouring of love and support. I couldn't help but think back on my brother John's return from Viet Nam and wonder what he experienced. I'm certain it was nothing like this. I hope and pray our countrymen never get as ungrateful as many of them were back then.
This man played the bagpipes the entire time Michael was getting through the crowd. The mournful sound of the pipes made the whole event a little more special than it might have otherwise been. As Michael approached him, he stopped and thanked Michael for his service and sacrifice. It was so nice of him to do so.After getting our luggage gathered up and loaded in the truck, we met the crowd at the parking gate for the trip home. I've never been in a motorcade like this before. We were led by a couple of police cars followed by a dozen or more motorcycles. Our family and friends came next and were followed by another police cruiser. As we went down the freeway, it was cool to see people move over to let us by (most that is - a few goofy drivers couldn't figure out what was happening and joined in for a little ways).
As we came into Bosque Farms, the fire departmant was out in force with their sirens going and flags flying on the fire trucks. The local police had stopped traffic from entering the main strreet and we had a straight shot through town. Both sides of the street were lined with people waving flags, shouting welcome, and waving. We were particularly touched by one older gentleman, obviously a World War II veteran, saluting as we drove by. I shed a few silent tears as I recalled the last procession I was in. It was at the funeral for Michael's friend Brad Smith in Illinois. I was so grateful that Michael was here to be a part of this day and recalled how close we came to losing him too.
Michael was blown away by what we were describing to him as we drove through our little town. We had people waving all the way to our driveway and after we turned in and parked, cars continued passing by and honking for the next half hour or so. Michael stayed out front and greeted anyone that stopped by. It was somethig to behold.
By the time Michael came in, he was exhausted. He couldn't wait to sit and take a rest. It was sure good to have him back home.
Roxann and I am so grateful for the love and support you have all shown. We hope and pray that you and your families will be as blessed as ours has. This blog has been shared with so many people and Michael's story has reached folks we'll never meet but we want you all to know we are certain that God lives and loves us all. We give thanks for Michael's recovery and for those of you that worked on him, cared for him, participated in fundraisers and support events, and offered prayers in his (and our) behalf. We don't know what the Lord has in store for him but we hope Michael will take every opportunity offered to him through this event to make the world a better place and to help others that may need comfort and encouragement as well. We are going to let him take his turn with this blog now that he's home and see where he takes it. Please continue to follow his story to see where the road leads. We look forward to continuing this adventure with you. Thanks again and God bless each of you.
P.S. Go Spartans!!!





Congratulations to Michael and Jesse! And welcome home to you all. I live near the home town of SrA Bradley Smith so that's how I came to follow this blog and I am so excited to see the new postings and see how Michael is doing. I hope he continues to update regularly as I am inspired to watch how he has dealt with all of this and how he has such happiness and desire inspite of everything.
ReplyDeleteI was amazed and touched by the number of people involved in welcoming Michael home. My daughter and I were on the corner of 47 and Esparanza, holding signs and flags and crying as we saw our hero drive around the corner. It's a little community, but we all came together that afternoon to say thank you. I, personally, thank him for the sacrifice and duty more than I think he will ever know.
ReplyDeleteI have followed Michael through this blog for a long time. I don't remember how, me a quilter came upon it.
ReplyDeleteBut I have to tell you, tonight I cried.
What a blessing the homecoming was.
I am sure many more blessing are in Michael's future.
Best wishes to you all for a wonderful god filled future.
YEAH!!! Congratulations Michael! I am a TACP Mom, and my son knows Michael from Ft. Riley. I have followed this blog from the beginning, and have laughed and cried along the way. Michael, your attitude and love for life is refreshing. I wish you all the best, and know you will succeed in all you do. Your family is awesome, and it has been touching to see their journey along with you. I wish you and Jesse all the best in your life together.
ReplyDeleteDonna Hoyt
Tucson, Arizona
Michael, so glad to know you are home! Caught your proposal on the news. Best of everything wishes to you both. Hope you are on a list to get that dog you need to love and let assist you.
ReplyDeleteCarry on, soldier. Thank you for your service. With love from Blue Star Moms SW CO2