Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Monday, May 31, 2010

In Memory of.....

Jesse, Kae, and I had a great trip to Florida this past week. We started our trip on Tuesday  at the Abq airport where upon check-in we learned that the travel agency I had payed a week and a half ago decided for an unknown reason to not charge my card for the tickets for Jesse. I had mine but whoever I gave my card info to must have been nearing the time they go home because they never charged my card and the airline was now telling us that there were no seats open for her. After a little over an hour and a lot of changing of flights we got everything straight. We finally got through security  with our TSA esccorts and flew off to Pensicola. We had a little over an hour of driving to get checked in and start heading to the little meet and greet at a restaurant before the day of the memorial. This was the first time I have been with a lot of my old friends and co-workers since everything happened. We got there late but still had a great few hours talking and getting Jesse introduced to the guys.

Wednesday morning we had to be at the schoolhouse at eight in the morning to prepare for our part in the days events. It was the first time I have been part of the official party. We walked out after everyone was seated and took our seats at the front. This was where my nerves started to get higher. I was one of the speakers and as I sat there in the hot Florida sun all I could think about was how I was really hoping my nervousness would not get in the way of the words I wanted to say. I had my speech prepared in my mind but I was afraid I might forget the way I wanted to remember Brad and the things he had done. My time came and the first thing I thought was I was glad I got to stand with my cane. I was holding the mic in one hand and steadying it against the ground with my cane. Thinking back now I only remember parts of what I said. It was almost like I wasn't there. There were a few moments while remembering the times I had with Brad I had to stop talking and compose myself before I could go on. After about ten minutes or so of remembering this hero I ended and took my seat. They unvealed the TACP memorial with Brads name newly carved on it. It was a great but emotional day for myself and everyone else that attended that day.






At six that night there was a BBQ back at the schoolhouse. We wandered around and greeted old friends as well as some old instructors of mine from when I went through there myself. Their voices brought back a lot of memories, some good, some bad, most painful in one way or another. I will never forget the things I went through to be where I am today. They left an impression I will never forget and I want to thank them all for what thay did for me.

The rest of our time was spent hanging out with fammily and friends as well as spending time on the beach. It took Kae a little while to warm up to the water and the crashing waves but once she realized they were harmless she had a great time kicking her legs in it. My dad and I were able to get Jesse a little more than waist deep in the water before she stopped. That night we had dinner at a friend and old supervisor of mines house where Jesse got to hear about the latest shark attacks and from then on didn't get quite as deep in the water as she had before. I tried to assure her that she was safe by telling her that anything that could get her in waist deep water could get her in knee deep water. Needless to say I did no good.


We were able to make it back home without any huge travel problems. A few delays but nothing that bad. We did get bumped to first class after we requested that our seats be together. It was the first time Jesse and Kae got to fly first class and they loved it. Kae really loved the snacks. We got home a little before midnight and all went strait to sleep. We had a great trip and decided that if the military asks us to go live there for a while we won't mind doing it. Great friends and amamazing beaches can make anywhere a great place to live.

3 comments:

  1. Michael it is so great to hear about your adventures. I am sure your talk was great. I have to tell you that I think you look pretty natural holding Kae and having Jesse by your side! Congrats. We are so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,I really liked Your speech,I could tell that it came from the heart,since You couldn't write a speech to read from it meant more to Me.The things You said about Brad made Me swell with pride He was a good Man.The last words I spoke to Him on Thanksgiving were to keep His head down,but He couldn't do that and do His job I guess.You,Jess and Your Folks will always be in My prayers,may God bless You in all that You do.
    Brad's Papaw Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your unselfish acts continue to amaze me. School is out, but the Spartans will continue to follow you! :)

    ReplyDelete