Monday nights are bowling night at the blind school. This is only the second time Michael has gone and he wouldn't have gone this time if his mother hadn't insisted on it. He says he didn't like going bowling back when he could see and he especially doesn't like it now. He finally relented and went and guess what? He actually ended up having a good time and even came in with the highest score in his lane. A whopping 37 pins. The therapist would stand behind the bowler and try to help them line up for the throw and then step back and watch the action. Lots of laughs and more than a few gutter balls. But hey, it's a chance to get out and do something different.
Check out his new Connies. Can you believe he's wearing green shoes? What the heck, he likes them and they're comfortable.
Michael recieved a couple books in braille. The one he is "reading" in this picture is "The Old Man And The Sea". He is becoming a little discouraged with learning and studying braille. It is very difficult and will require daily practice time working on it. I am trying my best to keep him at it, just like when he was a first grader learing to read.
Michael had some more friends visit this weekend. It has become a tradition for people to try the exercise equipment outside the Fisher House. I tell them it is guaranteed to put a smile on their face. They look at me like that is wierd and wonder why it would make them smile. But I am telling you, it does, and it will.
Michael's friend from Fort Riley thought it would be fun to try being blind. He got Michael's spare cane and glasses and closed his eyes and followed Michael everywhere he went. He actually stuck with it the whole evening and it was intersting to hear Michael instruct him on how to get around. He and Michael had many laughs from that experiment (they also generated a few strange looks from some of the people they passed).
Michael really enjoys having visitors that are close to his own age. It's nice to hear him joke and laugh. The only real drawback is that he's distracted from study and class stuff. I guess we can cut him a little slack though. I know I would want some diversion.
I have those same green shoes.
ReplyDeleteThey're awesome. The same "intense" green as the jacket I wore last time I was out there.
-SSgt Casey
Oh boy! I hate bowling!!! If Michael is getting out there and having a good time with it-- while blind-- I better try it with a better attitude. Ha! He's doing so good... I can hardly believe it. Maybe it's just me but he seems to be learning SO much SO fast! He's simply amazing! Love you all!
ReplyDelete--Santana