Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Monday, March 8, 2010

Last fall at our family reunion, we went to the Veterans Memorial at the cemetery in Durango. It is a beautiful monument and the setting makes it even more humbling as you read and consider the meaning of it all.  My niece took a picture of my son's reflection in one of the polished granite panels that make up the monument.

Ironic that it was this particular panel. 


6 comments:

  1. I really like this picture of Michael. He looks like he is ready to fight for my freedom. Thank you Michael for the sacrifice you made for my family's freedom.

    Jessica Pickett (Lisa's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great picture! That definitely reflects the true meaning that freedom isn't free. Had to post on this one. I am so proud to know you and have you a part of my life, Mike. You were an inspiration to me before, but now I am in awww and amazement. Miss you buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an Awesome picture of am Awesome guy! I know we have all said it many times, but I know you don't mind so, Thank You Michael! Without soldiers like you we wouldn't be able to live freely with our friends and family. I am so thankful to have you as a friend, and I can't wait until until you get home so I can thank you in person and give you a big hug. We all love you Michael and we are so proud of you!!

    -Cheyenne Crews

    ReplyDelete
  4. This picture was a welcome pause to my day. I am beyond moved by it.

    May it never get old to hear how grateful we are for your service, Mike. You're AWESOME! We miss you and hope to be visiting with ya soon!

    ~Chris and Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a good picture and it's true. Freedon isn't free. My husband, SPC Brian Bowman, was the medic that treated Mike that terrible day. Then during the second IED, my husband was taken from me. I pray that your healing continues Mike. I am excited to meet you. If you or your family ever want to get ahold of me please do at bc.bowman@hotmail.com. My prayers are with you and the rest of Bravo daily. ~Casie Bowman

    ReplyDelete