Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Friday, December 28, 2012

Crunch Time

    It's amazing how fast Christmas comes and goes every year. I thought for this year things would be slower since we have so much to look forward to but that wasn't as all the case.
    We had a great Christmas and it's amazing how much more fun it is to see the reactions of my own kids on Christmas morning. They both got mini electric drum sets and have been rocking out almost constantly. It's so much fun!
    Kadence talked Jesse into buying me a pogo stick and as you can imagine I love it! Things like this are so much more fun now that I am blind. It surprisingly hard to tell how much I'm moving around on it.


                          Works better when the ground is not slippery.
    Sophie and Kate both got little strollers that I don't think have been left alone at all yet. They absolutely love them!
    Of course Jesse got some new photography toys and today we just drove her new Ford Fusion home from the dealership.
    We have been sitting on the VA vehicle grant for months now and finally decided to put it to use.

    It is crazy to think that the next thing on our to do list is bring home a new baby boy. Technically Jesse isn't due until the 24th of January but everyone, including the doctors are saying to get ready now because it probably won't be too much longer.
    We are so excited to take this next step in life! Time is truly flying by.
    The house is coming right along. By now they should have all the cabinets installed, tile almost complete, painting just about done, garage door installed, and who knows what else. I need to call them and get a little update.
    Once the few remaining big ticket items are done then they just have to finish up the electrical and plumbing then knock out some of the outside stuff then everything should be ready.
    Life is about to get really busy around here so we're enjoying our last few weeks of relative peace.
 
    My retirement has been moved back to March so at least we don't have to worry about that overlapping with anything else that's going on around here.
    I know that a few people are working on some sort of retirement ceremony but I don't have any details on that. Once I learn more, I will be sure to share it with you all and if you would like to come to San Antonio and drop in, you're more than welcome to!


    I hope you all have had a great Christmas and have an equally great New Years!


God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment