Last Friday was my official promotion ceremony! I am officially a Staff Sergeant and it feels awesome!
When I first found out I was promoting I got a call from my squadron and they asked me if I wanted my own ceremony or if I wanted to just do it with everyone else.
I told them that I don't want or need anything special. I just wanted to do the regular old ceremony with nothing putting me in the spotlight…I should have known better.
A few days before I get called and told that I need to be at the auditorium at 1pm before the ceremony at 3pm. No big deal. Two days before the ceremony I get a call saying that the new Command Chief wants to meet with me. I had no idea why and neither did I. I figured it wasn't because of something bad so I just headed in.
It turns out that the Chief is fairly new here and had heard about me and read some articles and just wanted to meet me and as some questions. He was an pretty awesome guy and we had a really good talk about a lot of different things.
I left my cell number with him when I left not thinking he would ever really call it but told him in case he needed to get a hold me that he could.
I got a call the morning of the ceremony from the squadron first telling me that instead of going on stage with the rest of the SSgt's I would be bringing up the rear after the Senior Master Sergeant. They do promotions from lowest rank to highest normally. They wanted to put me at the end just because I would have the dog and it would make things much easier to orchestrate. No big deal.
A little while later I get a call from the squadron saying that "someone" needs to know a few things. These things were like when Jesse is due, what we are going to name the boy, how many kids we have no, and so on. I asked why…they didn't know. Now my radar is starting to go off.
Around 11 or so I get a call from the Command Chief. Of course the minute he calls chaos has broken out at the house. Dogs are wrestling, kids are fighting, one is crying and the other is screaming…typical stuff you know. So I headed into the bathroom since that's the only place I can get a little peace while trying to talk to the Chief. He asked me if it was ok if he aid a few words before I walk off the stage. Who am I to tell him no! "Of course!" I say, and that was it. Not so unusual from a chief right?
So it's finally ceremony time, we run through the practice, and everyone gets in their seats. We ran through all the promotions pretty quick and after the SMSgt. they say "We have a really special promotion today."
As soon as I heard this I thought "oh here we go."
They read an entire bio on me covering the TACP life, to deploying, to injury, to mentorship, to now. As they wrapped it up we headed up on the stage.
Side note: Jesse didn't know she was going to be walking on the stage with me until she got there. She wore nice 4 inch heels and if you haven't tried that pregnant let me tell you I hear it's hard.
Anyway, we get the certificate from the General, salute and when I start to head off stage the Chief grabs my arm and asks me if I will say a few words….apparently with all the pandemonium breaking loose at my house that morning I misunderstood what he said. He had asked me if I would say a few words…not him. Surprise!
So I, flying by the seat of my pants like usual, give a 5 or so minute speech making sure to congratulate everyone who had been promoted. Remember, my goal was to blend in here…I was failing horribly.
I told them all that they had reached a milestone and accomplished something great. I explained how fortunate they were for their opportunities to serve and reminded them that on the mornings that they don't feel like going in or don't feel like putting up with the military life that there are a lot of people who would give just about anything to be able to do what they do.
So I got it all out of my system and then the General took his turn. He covered a lot of ground as Generals must do, but did talk a few minuets about me. After him the Chief took over and talked about the conversation he and I had the day before and talked about how people need to take control of their lives and reach their goals and so on.
The sum it all up…my plan to blend in failed completely. However, there ceremony was still awesome and it ws a great feeling to be able to take that certificate in my hand and salute the General.
I am still trying to get used to "Sergeant Malarsie."
I am grateful to so many people who had a hand in making this happen. I am not even going to try to name them all because there are so many and I know I would miss some. Just know that I appreciate all of the support and help that my family and I have been given over the last few years. You all can't imagine the difference it has had in our lives.
Sunday, December 2, 2012
It's Official
Labels:
afghanistan,
blinded,
Lackland AFB,
Michael Malarsie,
Promotion,
SAMC,
TACP,
USAF,
wounded
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment