Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Frustrated by the VA

I want to share a little story with you all about how frustrating it can be to be stuck in limbo between active duty and retired.
First off, a few months ago I tried to get back out to the Palo Alto blind rehab center because I have heard rumors that they were issuing Mac computers ( which by the way is false). I tried working with the local Visual Support Coordinator to get out there but I got an answer basically dsaying that they basically can't help because I'm still active duty. Apparently there is some issue determining who pays for it and who knows what else. I have been assured by other blind veterans that this is a load of crap though.
If I wasn't getting ready to welcome a new baby to my family and move to a new house I would pursue a little more.

Here's the new problem. I got an 80 cell refreshable braille display for my computer from the Computer and Electronics Assistance Program a few months ago. It's pretty sweet but coming in at somewhere around two and a half feet is completely unreasonable to try to carry around.
They don't offer anything smaller than 80 cells and after doing some research I decided to try and get a 14 cell display from the VA here.
When I finally got them on the phone guess what they said, "We don't know if we can help you since your still active duty but we'll see what our options are."
There is no way this is how things have to be. I am nnot willing to accept this. Fortunately I have been able to talk with some different veterans groups that are more than willing to help me out and correct this issue.
It's amazing how confusing things can be when your dealing with the government. At least I have the benefit of not expecting anything quickly. I know better than that ha ha!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment