Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Thursday, December 20, 2012

The SrA Michael Malarsie Act? What?

    You may recall that Jesse and I were invited by Fidelco to head to Washington DC to talk to the politicians on the hill about service dogs for veterans. It was a crazy time of year and with elections right around the corner nobody really expected much to come out of our first visit.

    Fidelco did a huge amount of leg work though and got a lot of meetings set up. One of these was with Senator John Kerry who is something like the tenth ranked Senator right now. I don't know the lingo so if I say something wrong here just pretend like it makes sense ok.
    Well Senator Kerry, after hearing that the VA offers no assistance at all in helping veterans get service animals said,

"Well we need to change that don't we."

    I was pretty excited to hear not too long after that Fidelco was working with Senator Kerry's office as well as a few others to draft a bill to be introduced to congress to address the problem. Many of the people on the hill were surprised to learn that service dogs weren't covered at all and wanted to help.
    They have been working with Fidelco to make sure to get the wording correct and I wasn't exactly sure what the status was until just a few minutes ago...

    A Google Alert is something you can set up to get an email sent to you when a website posts something with the keyword you specify in it. Naturally I have one for my name since I like to read what people are saying about me. Usually, they're good stories and I knew they were coming. Tonight though…was a surprise.
    I got an email talking about the SrA Michael Malarsie Act and I had no clue what it was talking about. I opened it up to discover that that is the possible name of this bill that Fidelco and Senator Kerry have been working on. Again, I don't know this political stuff so maybe that's already the name, hopefully one of you can tell me because I have no idea. Anyway, talk about surprising. I didn't think my name would be anywhere near this bill. I just wanted to help get things changed not have things named after me ha ha. I won't lie though…it is a little flattering.

    If your interested in reading more on this bill for yourself click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment