Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Sunday, December 16, 2012

Lesson learned

Hello and Merry Christmas everyone!

I promise that posts about our awesome Connecticut trip will be coming very soon. My mom took a million pictures and is probably still downloading them from her camera. There will be lots to come over the next week so stay tuned!
    Until then though, I want to share a little story...


    As you might imagine, ordering flowers from a website isn't always an easy process for  a blind person. Especially since the only flower I can really identify is a rose so I have no idea what it is I am buying most of the time. It's a little stressful.
   I got an email from Pro Flowers a few weeks ago talking about candy cane roses and I thought that they sounded pretty cool and I wanted to get some for Jess.
    I tried in vain to order then off the computer but their website was giving me trouble so I just decided to call them and do it the easy way. The lady I talked to was very helpful and we sped right through the process. I wanted to make it a surprise and not have a name on it and make Jess wonder who they were from and all that fun stuff.
   When it came time to decide what to put on the card, I told her to just put "Merry Christmas" and nothing else thinking it would be nice and vague. What I didn't consider is this sales clerks ignorance and her lack of any common sense.
     A few days later they arrived and I was excited to hear how happy Jesse was to open the package with 2 dozen of these red and white roses. It was perfect…until she read the card and said that I misspelled "Merry".
   I was caught so off guard that I just blurted out that there was no way. Well, I was wrong. I assumed that the lady I talked to had an idea of what Christmas was and had heard "Merry Christmas" before in her life. Apparently I was wrong because the card said "Marry Christmas".
    I am not sure if she really is just that dense or if she just thought it was a neat coincidence that the person I was buying flowers for in December had the name Marry Christmas.
    Outsourcing? Who knows…all I know is that I will be very clear next time to spell everything for whoever I talk to on the phone. Maybe I will just stick to small easy words like "I love you" or "You're Pretty". I just couldn't believe it. Honestly, their name is PRO Flowers for crying out loud
   We can at least thank them for giving us all a good laugh. This will definitely be a story we won't soon forget.  And Jesse liked the flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment