Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Pentagon...

   Well this mornin Jesse and I got to experience something that not many regular people get to. We got a behind the scenes tour of the Pentagon. The boss of my recovery care coordinator works from the Pentagon and when he learned that we would be in town he asked if we would like to go inside. With somewhere around 26,000  people working there it is by far the largest building I think I have ever been inside. We started off in the Air Force Recovery Care offices which consisted of a lot of cubicles. We got to meet a lot of people there that do a lot of great things for people like myself. After that we went over to where all the big dogs play. The hallway was highly decorated and there were no small amount of high ranking people bustling about the offices. We were able to stop in the office of the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force as well as the Chief of Staffs office. Unfortunately General Schwartz is out of town so we were unable to talk with him this trip but I will say that he has one of the biggest and coolest offices I have ever been inside. Jesse told me that his view out the window of the Patomac river as well as the Washington Monument was amazing. After that, we kept walking and had the pleasure of talking for a while with a few other high ranking people and and again I was surprised at how down to earth and just plain normal they are. For some reason I expected a different attitude from them that I am happy is not there. The Air Force really has some great leadership inside those walls. After our walk through the halls we we walked through the inner courtyard where we learned that the hotdog stand in the center was the number one target by the Russians during the Cold War. They had no idea that all the officers they were watching walk under that roof were just buying hot dogs. They expected a lot more I'm sure. We then had a very sobering stop at the 9/11 memorial and chapel. I can only imagine the events of that day and effects it had on the people that worked there at the time. 184 people did not come home from the Pentagon that day.  It was a reminder that all of the things in this nation are very easy to take for granted and we just never know when a group of cowards with a bomb will surface and try to take the lives of innocent Americans. It reminded me of why I did what I did and why I want to keep doing it. It is a honor to be counted among those that have sacraficed for this great country and I am honored to be able to keep doing it. It was an amazing tour and I have decided that I want to be the owner of the desk with the title Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force. It was a nice office and I think it is a goal I can spent a lot of time working toward. Thank you all for reading and have a great night. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment