Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Monday, August 23, 2010

BVA Convention Day One...

    Well its been a pretty darn good first day here in D.C. We started off meeting everyone and meeting all the people that made this whole thing happen. We heard a few speakers from the VA and heard the stories of all the OEF and OIF veterans here. These stories and the few memorials that we got to visit today have made me realize how bless I am to be where I am. I am so lucky to just have my vision problems and nothing else. We have had the pleasure to meet so many people that have been through things I can only imagine. Perhaps better than most but it is still something I will never have to deal with. I am so lucky to not have to deal with brain injuries or any physical injuries at all. I truly am blessed to be where I am and to have the injuries I have.
   We also had the pleasure of meeting one of my nurses from Walter Reed tonight. I unfortunately did not remember her but she sure remembered me. She was such a great lady. She told us that there were old doctors of mine wondering how I was doing and they had heard that I ran off and got married. We are so excited to go over to Walter Reed to see all these people that did so much for me. She said that so many people do so well after they leave Walter Reed but nobody ever comes back. So after we told her that we are going to visit she said that the staff will love it. They have done so much for me it really is such a small gesture to go back and tell them all how grateful I am for the things they did for me.
    This has already been a great experience and we are excited to start the day tomorrow and see what the day holds. I want to thank those who made this trip possible for me and my wife and I want to thank all of you for everything you all have done. Thank you all for keeping me going. I hope I can pass the love and support to these other veterans that need it as well. Thank you and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment