Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Sunday, August 15, 2010

Family reunion...

    So this weekend we got to go up to Durango for our family reunion. The time I spent up there really made me greatful for everything that I have. Not only am I lucky enough just to be alive and well but I have been blessed with one of the best families there is. Having such great relatives so close also brings around some amazing people that aren't related by blood. I got to hear a lot of stories about the fund raiser that so many people devoted so much time to putting on, and not only in one place. My home town put together an event that has changed my life. More people surfaced showing their support in Utah as well. I owe all of the people that made all of these events amazing and I owe all of you reading this my success. Everything that all of you have done for me has made this adventure worth it. I know that I have been blessed to be surrounded by so many amazing people. I am and will always be grateful for the things that have been done for me. I truely am blessed.  Here are a few pictures from the Malarsie reunion.



    So I am sorry nothing has been posted for a while. Things are still quite crazy around here. There are photos of things to come but I have to track down who actually has them. Jesse and I are gearing up for our trip to DC for the Blinded Veterans Convention after I speak at Kirtland at the commanders call. I am hoping to get over to Walter Reed and visit some of the people that put me back together and maybe visit some of the other wounded. I am really excited for this trip. Other than that the surgery is still on schedule for early October to get my eye worked on. We are hoping that this will be the last one that I need on my eye. I have an appointment this week to get my ear checked out and find out what the next step is for that. Hopefully it will be getting fixed soon. I am not sure how I will handle being to hear well again. I am really excited about it though.

    The last of the new news is that I talked with one of the nations leading ocular specialists about my eye and he told me that since the technology does not yet exist to fix severe retina damage that I need to look into a thing called a retinal chip. I don't know much about it but I guess it is a little like the Brain Port but it hooks up to your actual brain. I am going to try to find out more about it and maybe find out if it is a possible path I can take.
    Well as always I want to thank you all for reading this and keeping me in your thoughts. I will have some pictures posted this week for you all. thank you and God bless.

1 comment:

  1. Michael I am very proud of You and the hurdles You have cleared,I know there are a lot more to go but it's nothing that You can't do hands down.
    I have to agree with You about Your Family,I haven't met any of them except for Jess and Your Mom and Dad and I really like and respect Them for standing by Your side like they have.May God bless all of You. Brad's Grandad

    ReplyDelete