Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Thursday, June 21, 2012

It's over...

   Let's start this off with the good news - The stint is out! After something like four weeks, it is all finally over.
   Let's get to the juicy details shall we? (I think you know why there aren't any accompanying photos!)

   I walked to the back after my name was called and sat down with one of the techs. We went over the consent form and talked about what was about to happen. She assured me that younger people always seem to do better than older ones, which was encouraging, but didn't really ease my anxiety much.
   We talked about life and a lot of other random things while going over the paperwork. She did an amazing job at taking my mind off of things and helping me relax.  The last thing she said before we went to the next room was "No screaming was allowed"…I think it was a joke…but I didn't laugh much.
   She escorted me to the examination table and gave me the next wave of instructions. "Take your shorts off, lay back, and relax."    Through all of this we actually had a good conversation.
   So the doctor eventually came in and we got right to business.  The discomfort was immediate. I could feel this thing slide right up. She said that there is a curl inside that is always a little hard to get past. I could tell right when they got to it.  None of this was really painful. Somewhat, but not a lot. It just felt wrong - very, very wrong.
   Up to this point all I could really feel was a lot of pressure, some stinging, and the invasion…but when they hit that curl - MAN it was weird. After they hit the curl and shoved past it, I felt like a balloon being squeezed almost to popping but the pain subsided and a new Not-So-Wonderful sensation started. 
   I could feel the probe inside of me moving around. It was just about an inch down and to the left of where a belt buckle normally sits. I could point right where the end of the thing was. It was joined by more pressure.  This device writhes around as they searched for the stint. It felt like a snake inside me. That movement was so weird I could focus on nothing else!
   They located the stint and clamped down on it. I was under the impression that pulled these out slowly….I was wrong.  I get told to take a deep breath and as I let it out she pulled smoothly and steadily.
   This was the worst part. It felt like everything was being sucked out of the inside of my body. I thought for sure my brain was about to follow.
   This entire procedure only took a minute or two though. It felt much longer but it really wasn't.
   I sat there a little shocked and surprised but feeling ok overall. Again, it didn't really hurt, it was just the most uncomfortable I have ever been. I had the image of two witches standing over a cauldron they just got finished stirring with vigor. I was ready to leave.
   They gave me a towel and said to clean up, get dressed, and head out. Just like a bad date.
   By the time I got to the waiting room I felt a lot better. I know it will hurt for a while but overall things are good.  I am just glad that it is over.
   I have an ultrasound in about six weeks to make sure there is no scarring. Hopefully I will be done with these folks forever. What a relief.

   Well, I hope you all have enjoyed this little journey with me. Sorry for some of the unsavory details, they just fit too good to pass them up. Have a great weekend and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment