Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Wednesday, June 13, 2012

It's finally gone!!

    Monday was the day folks! They finally got my kidney stone out!

    I went in at 0830 and shockingly was taken back around 0900. Really?? This is a military hospital! I wasn't expecting anything until somewhere around 11:00! It was great!!

    So I changed in my comfy hospital gown and they started my IV. I met with the doctors who acted pretty confident this time. Everything seemed great.

    The head nurse was a nice old lady who persistently told me she was a young beautiful blonde girl. Ha ha it has been so long since I have had a nurse that could joke about my blindness. It was great!

   So on with the story…they juice me up and start wheeling me to the operating room. The last thing I remember was one of the people walking with us talking about the nice tour of the hospital we were about to get…apparently he doesn't realize that tours as a blind guy aren't super exciting. Especially when you have just been pumped full of drugs.

    I woke up a few hours later with that sadly familiar raped feeling. 

    What could be worse that that you may wonder? Here is something, how about the fact that it didn't hurt as bad since it wasn't my first time ha ha! Man not really comforting!

   It still burned like you can't imagine though!

   Not too long later the doctor came in and shared the good news. They got it all out and everything went great. Story almost complete.

    I have to go back on the 21st for one final humiliating event. The stint removal.

   They are going to reach back inside of me and pull it right on out of there I suppose. Only this time I have to be awake….not excited, not at all.

   At least the stone is gone! Now according to the doctors I just have to wait three to four weeks before I can do anything physical…I am going to have a hard time running a marathon later this year at this rate.

    We are so close to being done with this all. This is something I hope I never get to experience again!

No comments:

Post a Comment