Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Friday, August 5, 2011

San Antonio...

   Well we are here and we are getting settled! We are lovin our place here on base and everyone is doin great so far. Two days ago I started my in processing and I must say, I wish that was how the regular process went. I was very well taken care of and we met some great people. For me, the process was a breeze. I am sure it was not quite so painless for them however. Well I will just leave it at that. It was painless...for me.
    The next day we headed over to where my office will be gettin set up over the next few weeks. I do have a desk...but that is all at the moment. I think I have a chair but I actually forgot to check. Some issues are bein worked at the moment. things like gettin me a government computer with the talking software that I need to use it. I am so excited to get back to work! These last few days in uniform have been awesome. It feels so good to be back.

    We are very near where all the new Air Force people are graduating every weekend. Over on the training side there are always new guys and guys in basic marching all over the place. Jess and I have been wondering what they are thinking when I walk by blinded and scarred ha ha. Hows that for a reality check for the new folks.
    So until this point I have always lived on an Army post where it is very clear we are not really part of the population. Now that we are here on an AF base I am experiencing something that I never have before. Almost every time I leave the house someone asks me if I am part of the Security Forces. For those of you who don't know Security Forces are essentially the AF version of a MP or cop. My dog is probably the main reason they ask me if I am a cop but the other is the beret issue.  This is a HOT topic in the TACP and Jesse is gonne give me grief for writing about this on here but I think public awareness is the way to go! SO here  we go, the TACPs, after graduating tech school, are awarded a black beret to wear instead of the normal AF head gear. Tech school is not easy. That black beret is a symbol of the dedication and strength it takes to make it through that course. But here is the issue.... The Security Forces are supposed to wear a dark or navy blue beret. I am not sure what they call it but its a really dark blue. Well they must be alittle hard to find because almost every one of them that I have met have had a black beret on instead of their blue. Now most people don't even know about this let alone realize the difference. But do me a favor folks ha ha. Next time any of you drive through an Air FOrce base gate and there is someone from Security Forces there.....take a close look at that beret. If it is black, ask them about it. Say something like "I thought you guys were supposed to wear dark blue berets? Why do you have black on? Isn't that the color of the TACP beret?" Its going to be interesting what we can do here. I have been trying to get Jesse to let me talk to them at the gate here but it is usually contractors and so far when it has been someone from Security Forces she hasn't let me know until were past  ha ha. She is so funny.

    So enough of tryin to change the world here We have had the opportunity and honor to meet a few important people around here. Last week I went over to Brooks Army Medical Center and was able to meet the Chief Master Sergeant of the AAir Force again. He came to visit me while I was in Walter Reed and it was great to meet again and actually talk to him. He was there with the Air Education and Training Command Command Chief also. Also with him was his Australian counterpart. Basically he was their version of him. Awesome accent I must say. It was very funny when we started to talk and the his wife said that she wanted to take a picture so she could tell General Schwartz and his wife who she ran into here in San Antonio. I could not help but laugh. I don't think Iwill ever get used to being recognized by such important folks.
    A few days later we met General Rice, General Hepburn and their wives. I am not sure how I did on the spelling of their names. We had a nice visit with them and again the Schwartz family came up. I asked them to pass along that my family says hello and thanks again for everything!

    We have been very blessed to have the opportunities we have had and to meet the people we have. The last year and a half really have been amazing. I never expected that my life would have taken a turn like this but it has turned into the most amazing experience. I could not ask for more in my life right now. I have an amazing family, beautiful daughters, an amazing wife, great friends and supporters, and I am back on an AIr Force base getting ready to go back to work helping out other wounded folks. I love my life.

    Thank you all for keepin up on us. We just figured out the password to our wireless internet so my laptop is back in action and I finally have some interesting things to write about. I will be tellin a few more stories over the next couple days. I don't wanna throw all my pennies in the fountain at once. Better to spread them out. More to follow soon everyone. God bless!!

Oh and pictures will probably be flying up here perhaps a little at random. We will get them posted as Jesse gets them off her computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment