Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Friday, August 5, 2011

An old friend...

    So I have a pretty good story for you all.I have some friends that I met while I  was in Kansas that moved down here in like 2008 or something. When we were getting things unpacked they came over and really helped us out. I had the help I needed to get my drum set out almost first and get it all set up. It is still in a room full of boxes that need to be emptied....but I have priorities. They were a huge help and we have been able to see them a few times now.
    Well last Monday we went to their house to celebrate one of their birthdays and have some pizza and just hang out. We were there along with two or three other couples. When we got there the guys were mostly outside and just basically spread out through the house. I sat at the table to enjoy some pizza and started talking with one of the other wives there. I asked what they do here and she said she works on base and her husband does some recruiting stuff. She said they had been stationed all over the place over the last about 20 years and that they came here from New Mexico. I told her that the Albuquerque area was where I grew up and joined from. She asked me what year I joined and upom finding out asked me if I remember my recruiters name. I told her and she said "No way, that is my husband!"
    She yelled for him to come over and when he saw me he immediately recognized me. We spend the next few hours tellin old stories and just catching up on life.What are the odds of that right? I am still laughing about it. It was awesome to run into them here and we look forward to hanging out with them again.
   

    I forgot to add in my last blog that if any of you take my challenge and confront the Security Forces on the beret issue PLEASE comment or somehow let me know what happend. I am very interested in the results of this! Have a great weekend everyone and God bless!

1 comment:

  1. Im gonna ask tomorrow coming through the gate, very valid point, you rarely see blue anymore

    ReplyDelete