Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Friday, July 29, 2011

The hook up

So I got an email a few weeks ago from someone saying that there was an organization that was offering tickets for wounded veterans to go to a tour called the Rockstar Mayhem Festival. As you may be able to guess from the name it is a rock concert...some pretty heavy stuff that only certain people like. Well I am one of those people.
I wrote back and said to put my name on the list! The tricky part is that the show is the same day I come home from Pittsburgh and the brain port study. I decided that the loss of sleep would be well worth it and we got our tickets to fly out of PA at six in the morning. This meant a 4am wake up....I didn't want to miss the show.
The organization called Hope for the Warriors out in NYC sent two shirts for me and a good friend of mine to wear to the show. I got home from Pittsburgh, showered, said hi to the familiy, and headed out for the concert.
We find out that we not only got tickets, but that they are VIP tickets and backstage passes. We were stoked!. We were met at the gate by a lady and her husband who served basically as our tour guides. Well her husband was the guy putting this show on....and when a person like that is your guide....you meet the bands. It was so cool! We got to meet the guys from In Flames, Suicide Silence, Godsmack, and Disturbed.
After chattin with these guys for a while we got to have dinner in the tent thing where all the bands eat. It was so cool to be there surrounded by the guys we hear on the radio all the time. While we sat there our guides ran around and collected us all sorts of autographed swag. We both got like 3 tour shirts, a Megadeath CD, Machinehead poster, and a drum head from the band Disturbed. All this stuff was signed. AWESOME!!!
After dinner we went to our seats to hear the show. We were in comfy patio chairs with waitresses all around in the shade. The show was awesome! We had an amazing time.

I think it is awesome that there are organizations and people out there that do so much for wounded service members. Music has been a huge part of my life since being injured and thigs like this are not only just plain fun but they are therapeutic.Those two that took us around did something they consider small but it is an experience I will never forget. I am amazed at how many awesome people are still out there. Don't listen to the media and the news. Not everyone left on this earth is so terrible.


More good news. We just for our internet set up today so hopefully blogs and pics will be comin at ya as fast as you can handle them. Thank you all for reading and keepin up on me and my family. Pray for rain down here in Texas. We need it! God bless!


P.S. A few pictures from the show will be posted later on. I have to find them.....geez

No comments:

Post a Comment