Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Sunday, June 9, 2013

Eye opening

Isn't it just amazing how often terrible things turn out to be such great blessings? Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that being injured in Afghanistan could lead to the life I have now. Amazing family and kids of my own, a house in Texas, and not to mention retired at 25.
I decided early on after my injury to take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way. That took me on speaking trips all over the country, it took me snowboarding and scuba diving. I ran a half marathon for crying out loud. I dont even like running! But why not?
I had always been fascinated with radio and broadcasting and now I run www.htb2.com, produce and edit a podcast that has slowly been growing and really helping people. I'm now trying to find sponsors to help offset costs and give some good deals along with useful products for the listeners. It's quite the adventure.
So much of our lives, every single day, can be good or bad and that is controlled by is and how we decide to react to what life throws at us. Next time your stuck in traffic just turn the music up a little and smile. It will change how you feel I promise. I make Jesse smile lots of times when the kids and I are being extra obnoxious. It works.
There is so much beauty to life and so many things to be happy about. It's just so easy to forget and let ourselves get bogged down.
I am grateful every day for what happened to me. It forced me to grow and look at things differently. Mentally of course, physically all I see is black and that's a little boring to be honest. But life is good.

Just smile

3 comments:

  1. Good show, Mike! Every time I get frustrated I think of you and all the vets who's lives were drastically changed by injury. I think of all the people who live meal to meal in the world, of people who simply hope their children will live to grow up. Like you I have so much to be thankful for and so very little to complain about. So yea, smile! It's great to be alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be awesome to have a kid with your perspective. Oh wait... you are my kid! I too look at life differently because of you and how you manage the ups and downs that life deals you. I remember something said in a Priesthood blessing at Walter Reed where you were promised "vision to see the beauty of the world". With this post, you've confirmed the validity of that blessing and that proclamation. Remember the promise from the Lord that He will be with us if we'll trust in Him and keep the faith. I'm proud of you Michael and I love your little family. Thanks for reminding us what is really important in life. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, my heart swells and the tears flow, when I read about how well you have done since your injury. You are an example for all of us. Your trust in God, your love of country, your family, and your out look on life, is cause for us all to to learn from our trials, enjoy life, and look to the future with a positive attitude. We appreciate your service, thank you. Lynda B.

    ReplyDelete