Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Sunday, January 2, 2011

One Year Ago ....

January 3, 2011 - anniversary of the day the universe shifted. Since a little before Christmas, thoughts of what happened just after the last new year began found me unsettled, retrospective, and emotional.  I shouldn't be though because Michael is doing so well and is looking forward with much anticipation to getting his guide dog. I love his enthusiasm and the ease with which he embraces the changes that occur.  His little family is beautiful and watching their interaction is both entertaining and rewarding. They have their struggles as all new families do but as I see them working to build a future together, it warms my heart. I'm grateful for Jesse and her willingness to do the extra work that’s required as the wife of a man that can’t see. She’s doing a good job too, considering she’s expecting a baby and herding a two year old at the same time. It’s nice to be able to help them when needed and I hope our house is a good break in the routine for them.  We know this anniversary is significant for Jesse as well.  Our home, our arms, and our hearts are open for her and we love her. 
I called and spoke with Paula Smith, Brad’s mom, to let the Smith’s know I was thinking of them and hoping they were doing well. We had a nice visit and I’m glad I took the time to call. As we spoke, and Paula shared her thoughts and feelings with me, my sense of gratitude for Michael’s return home and his progress was refreshed. I know that I feel only the tiniest portion of the loss that the families and loved ones of Brad, Josh, Brian, and John feel. I hope those left behind know the service and sacrifice these young men provided is appreciated by so many of us and their loss is shared by countless people that will never get the chance to tell them in person. May the Lord bless and comfort them as they move ahead without these valiant souls. 


I’ll close now by once again thanking all of you that have taken part in Michael’s and our family’s trip through the year 2010. I won’t miss it! It brought the greatest tragedy and heartache into our home but along with it came the greatest outpouring of love and support that could have been imagined. I have been blessed to meet so many wonderful, caring people.  What a whirlwind it was: from Washington DC to Illinois to California to Florida to Utah to Colorado and, of course, New Mexico.  I saw what makes this country great!  The men and women that reach out a hand to help ease their brother's and sister's burdens. May God bless you all for the good you do and for the service you render. May He watch over and bless the young men and women serving our nation around the world. May He bless the families and loved ones of those that have died or been injured and are dealing with the changed future those injuries bring. May He bless those that lend a hand to make sure the work gets done and employment is secure while families deal with these burdens.  Above all, may He bless this great nation as a whole and may America continue to stand for right whenever and wherever needed. Again, thanks to each of you.  I am humbled by your kindness and I will forever be indebted to you.

With sincerest gratitude, love, and respect,
Jim Malarsie

3 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and the others...

    May God Bless You,
    Michelle (Silver Creek Spartans)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim

    Thank you for the updates on Michael throughout the year. It has been a while since looking you up. Miss working with you on a regular bases. The best to your family. It appear that 2010 was the best and worst of years. It is both good and sad that we often do not see the best of people until the bad happens. But it is sure great that the best is there to come out.

    Love you all

    Reid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, Jim. What has made my day go well is all the support from family, yours included. Thank you for your support and love for Jesse. She has learned there is a lot more to this than she ever expected, but she is game and is hanging in there. The gospel and her love for Michael and all of you is the clincher. And I am so grateful for Michael, what a really cool young man! I hear you are over (way over!) in Florida. That can't be much fun at this time. Hang in there.
    Later, Chris

    ReplyDelete