Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Freedom Is Not Free

In August of 2009, we had a family reunion in Durango.  There is a veteran's memorial at the entrance to the cemetery and we all went up to look at it.  It is impressive and pays tribute to those who have served our country in all branches of the military.  Michael's cousin Amber had her camera and caught his reflection in one of the polished granite panels.  Little did we know how prophetic this shot would be.



This picture, now framed and hanging in our home, always stirs my emotions.  I see the boy, anxious for adventure and ready to jump into the fray.  I see the young airman, confident in his ability and ready to put his training into action.  I see the words "SERVED GALLANTLY" and picture Michael in uniform, sometimes as he looked at his TACP graduation and sometimes as he looked the day he came off the airplane from Palo Alto.  I see the words "TO THOSE WHO DIED HONOR AND REST" and thank God for sparing Michael's life.  We know we came so very close to losing him.  My heart aches for those who didn't get their sons, brothers, daddys and husbands back.  I grieve the loss of Michal's eyesight and the things he'll not see but I rejoice at his spirit, his attitude, and his "vision" of the wonderful future he looks forward to.  I am so proud of this young man and those like him, willing to serve where and when needed.  Both of his Grandfathers as well as uncles and cousins on both sides are cut from the same cloth.  I am grateful for a nation that breeds men and women like these and where freedom still shines like a beacon to the world.  Through Michael, I have personally witnessed countless examples of the generosity, kindness, selflessness, service, and sacrifice the American people are known for.  Not those the media would have us focus on but those of the "silent majority".  Who knows, the "Greatest Generation" may yet be out there.  Thank you all.

Jim Malarsie 

No comments:

Post a Comment