Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Friday, January 14, 2011

Okay so it is the wife again....

Since Michael is crazy busy with training and I found out that I could go ahead and post pictures, I thought that I would share since I know some of you are probably anxiously awaiting! :) Michael received Xxon, pronounced Exxon, as his guide dog from Fidelco. Xxon will be 2 years old on Sunday and he is such a wonderful companion/guide for Michael. The rest of us in the fam really enjoy him too. He is what they call a "sable" color, not the usual black and tan we always think of. Michael is thrilled to have him and on behalf of all of the Malarsie family we are thrilled that Michael has Xxon. A really big thank you to Fidelco Guide Dog Foundation for working with us and choosing Michael as a client! Another big thank you to Newman's Own Foundation for their generous contribution so that Michael could receive Xxon. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Michael and Xxon were on KOAT channel 7 (ABC) last night here in NM and are currently being interviewed by another local channel. I will post more when I know about that one.

Their very first day together, getting ready to go out for their first walk.

Xxon wasn't sure about Bella at first but they warmed up to each other very quickly. Here she is asleep on his hind legs.

Michael and Xxon after church

enjoying some fresh air!

Team Lassie!

a bonding moment

Thank you all for your support of Michael and our family. We have felt your love and your caring thoughts. Everything has been truly remarkable and we hope to give back to others as you have all given to us. It is amazing to me that Michael received his guide dog on the exact one year date from when he was injured. His recovery (that I have been around for) has been so great and his attitude is inspiring. There have been so many wonderful things, big and small, that have happened this last year that enabled everything to fall into place. They say that normally you don't get a guide dog for up to 2 years sometimes. Michael has been so greatly blessed and I know that he plans on turning that around and giving back. He has such a wonderful outlook on life and is very excited about his future. He cannot wait to get back to work for the U.S. Air Force and to be able to get a routine to his life. As I said before he is truly inspiring and I am so honored to be his wife and to stand by his side. I am so proud of the man that he is.

Jesse

1 comment:

  1. Becky Cook led me to your blog. I am a volunteer at Fidelco and a very close friend of Matthew Slaydon and Legend, his partner-in-crime.

    I just wanted to let you know that I have been thinking about you since I heard Matthew mention your name to Eliot back in November at the Gala.

    I wish you all the luck in the world, these dogs are the best I've ever seen, and should Fidelco bring you out to the East Coast for some publicity, etc., consider me at your service. (Living in CT and knowing my way around helps)

    ~Hilary

    ReplyDelete