Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Monday, January 3, 2011

A few thoughts....

What a year this has been. It is hard to believe that one year ago right now I was wrapped in bandages laying in a bed and had no idea what was going on or where I was. The time that I spent in the hospitals and in rehab seem like they took forever to get through but not looking back it seems that this year has just flown by. Never in my wildest dreams had I thought that in a year time I would be blind, married, and have a second child on the way. The time really has flown by.


To me however, this day is just like all of the others that I have gone through. Every day I think about Brad, Josh, Brian, and John. I think about how it was to be able to see. I think about the things I did and the things I wanted to do. How things have changed. Today is the 1 year mark but I don’t hurt more, miss those guys more, or miss seeing my family more. I miss those things every single day. I spend my time remembering the great times I had while I was in Afghanistan. I always think about how Brad and I made fun of each other all of the time. I remember that retarded Firefly song that he would sing to me at night just to drive me crazy. I can’t help but smile when I think about the memories I have from that short time on the other side of the world. They were the greatest of my life.

I still can’t believe the amazing gestures of kindness and the outpouring of love and support that I got through last year. I still hear new stories from my family about people that have done so much for myself and for them. I am so blessed to have all of these people care so much about me. I will never be able to thank you all enough for everything that you did and comtinue to do. It is an inspiration and a comfort to know that there are so many amazing people in this world. Last year started off so terrible but from the 3rd of January it only got better. I met so many amazing people, went so many new places, experienced so many wonderful things…..I got married….I still can not believe that. Jesse is my rock. She inspires me to want to be better and always reminds me to try to be better. She makes me want to improve myself without even knowing it. I could not ask for a more wonderful woman to have in my life. I am so grateful for little Kadence. This amazing little girl makes me laugh every single day. I always figured that kids would be cool to have around but I was so surprised at how truly amazing they are. I want to thank my family for everything they have done for me. It is not fair that they all have to suffer through this along with me. I wish that I could take away all of their pain and worries. I hope that this next year will continue to bring more healing and more peace to them all. They have got me through all of the worst of last year and I want to thank them all for everything they did. I will never be able to say it enough.

Thank you all for everything you have done for me. I know that there are so many others that need the support that I have gotten and I hope that all of you can continue to do what you did for me for others. There will always be people that need help and I for one can’t wait to try to make someone elses life better. I can’t wait to try to help others like you all helped me. Thank you all so much. So many people have sacrificed their lives for the freedom that we all enjoy. I will always be grateful for these people. I had the honor of serving with Brad, Josh, Brian, and John. Four men who gave all that they had for all of us. I will never forget them and I will never be able to show how much it has meant to me. I served with these heroes and I am so honored to say that I knew them.



To Brad, Josh, Brian, and John…

I miss you guys. It is a honor to say that I knew you all and fought alond your sides. The times we spent and the memories we made will stay with me for my entire life. I am reminded daily about you all and I thank you all for being the inspiration for me to get my life rolling. I do what I do in honor of you all. Brad and I may have been Air Force and the rest of you were Army but that means nothing. We were all the same, we were all friends, we were and still are brothers. I love you guys and I miss you every day. I will never for get your example and what you all did for me. I will see you all again someday and we will look back on January 3rd 2010 and laugh. I look forward to it. God bless you all.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael.


    My name is Bethany Carter and I moved into your ward about 3 months ago. I wanted to thank you for your service and thank you for your inspiration. I saw you out today walking with your new sight dog and I have to say YOU LOOKED LIKE YOU WERE FLOATING ON COULD 9! I hope to get to know you better. Your family is beautiful!

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,

    My name is Jenn and my husband, Staff Sgt. Jacob Torgerson, was one of the TACP's that you and Brad took over for at FOB Wilson in Dec. 2009. I have been following your blog and just wanted to thank you for your service and your sacrifice. Your determination and your positive attitude throughout your ordeal are truly inspiring and I hope that God continues to bless you in all aspects of your life.

    Sincerely,

    Jenn Torgerson

    ReplyDelete