Living in Texas and being married to a ranch girl from Idaho means that a man wears cowboy boots. It's just a fact of life. Since marrying Jesse I've acquired a few pairs and actually really love them. They are comfortable. There are no laces to tie and you can wear them everywhere.
Last Sunday we were all getting ready to head to church and while Jesse was gathering kids and all their necessary items I was getting myself ready. Business as usual.
I grabbed my nice pair of boots after getting my suit and tie on and we all headed out the door. We were in a rush since we were behind and we ended up getting to the meeting late.
While waiting for a good time to enter the room Jesse told me something nobody likes to hear.
"Your boots are two different colors."
If that wasn't enough, one had a square toe and the other had a round toe. Being human and all I felt embarrassed. My dear wife is struggling not to laugh out loud at me and apologized over and over for laughing. I chuckled a little but made Jesse drive us all home to fix my mistake.
After a little while the humor of the moment struck me. Anytime a person does something dumb it takes a little while before it's funny. When I posted it on Facebook it actually turned into a great conversation.
Jesse asked me if situations like these were hard and if they make being blind hard to accept at times. Her question made me think and I've continued to ponder it till now.
The truth is that I hadn't even blamed my mismatched boots on my blindness. It's more the fault of my poor organizational skills or perhaps my two year old who throws my boots in a pile on the floor. Either way this is a mistake that people with vision make too.
For some reason I don't view problems like these being because of blindness. The are just mistakes that anyone can make when they're rushed and not paying attention.
As we drove home to switch boots I told myself that I had two options. To be embarrassed and therefore touchy about the topic or laugh at the mental picture and just enjoy it. After all, if this happened on a TV show it would be funny right?
Next time you do something stupid and get defensive look at the situation with that in mind. If this was someone else, or on TV, would it be funny? If so, then why can't it be funny when it happens to you? This intentional change in perspective changed my mood from mad and embarrassed to actually quite happy.
So now here I am telling the world again about something ridiculous I've done and being completely ok with it.
We all do stupid things. Why not laugh about it? Life is good so just enjoy it.
Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment