Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Sunday, July 7, 2013

An Outsiders Perspective on the NFB

     You haven't lived until you've tried to maneuver your way through 2,500 other blind people all trying to fit into six elevators in a hotel. With all the white canes tapping around it sounded like lots of tiny tap dancers making their ways through the halls. It was the largest group of blind people I have ever been in and it was awesome!
     I love hearing other people asking directions and problem solving their way through places that many sighted people would get lost in. It's always nice to have a reminder that I'm not the only one dealing with the small challenges that come with blindness.
     The first week of July was the National Convention of the National Federation of the Blind which is the largest organization of blind people in America. They've been around fighting for equal rights and to change the public perspective on blindness for decades.
     Up until this point I had only ever met a few people who were part of the NFB. I had heard from many others though that the NFB was an organization to be wary of. I've had them described to me as militant and hostile, rude and abrasive, and often lawsuit hungry. So what did I do? Attend their National Convention of course.
     I wanted to get first hand experience with this group and find out how accurate the rumors were. I wasn't sure if I was walking into a building full of blind radicals, bent on forcing the world to see them as equal at any cost, or a big group just trying to get society to treat them as equal. Maybe it would be both. I had no idea but I was eager to find out.
     I arrived in Orlando Friday afternoon and entered the general session around 3:30 just in time for the members, about 2,500 of them, to vote on new resolutions. These resolutions varied from equal wages for people with disabilities, to how to handle media outlets who publish their interpretation of blindness instead of actually talking to blind people. It was quite eye opening to see how passionate these people became. There was lots of talking, a little shouting, and even some tears but I found myself very intrigued by it all. The only time it got a little weird was when large groups would just chant "NFB NFB NFB NFB." It took a little getting used to but every political rally I've ever heard is the same way so I guess it's not that weird after all.
     As many of you know I run my own podcast and website called How to be Blind where we talk about a lot of stories and and articles that relate to blindness. Many of the same articles we've discussed on the podcast were addressed at this convention.
     It didn't take long for me to realize that my small attempts at showing the public what it really means to be blind were being mirrored by this organization.
     Of course just like any large group, this one too has it's share of people I don't agree with. One or two there I found are just plain infuriating, but the experience was awesome.
     There are two main organizations of blind people in America. The NFB, and the American Council of the Blind or ACB. From what I understand, they started off as the same organization, the NFB. Through the sixties and seventies, differences in philosophy about blindness and civil rights issues forced a group to split away from the NFB and become the ACB.
     Over the last few years I've been told that these two groups aren't very fond of one another. Many of the people who were around for the split are still involved and, if you ask me, are still holding grudges. I talked with many NFB members about the ACB and what they thought and even though their end goals are similar, their philosophies are different enough that it crates a rift between the two organizations. Hostile isn't the right term to describe the relationship between the two organizations but it does fit some of the individual members. Some I think have just been influenced by the older members and carry the rivalry on just because that is what's expected. I'm speculating here, these are just some initial impressions, so if your reading this and a member of either organization feel free to leave a comment and share your thoughts.
     Some of the members I disagreed with the most just seem to want to force blindness on society, force people to accept us by any means and it struck me as…well let's just say intense.
    By the time I left for home Sunday morning I had the names and numbers of some of the members in my area and I'm planning on attending meetings and becoming a member. I didn't think I would come home wanting to join, I thought the differences were too great but there is such a variety of people in the NFB that I agree with a lot and many of the issues the NFB addresses I completely agree with. They have a good mission and I want to do my part to help.
     I also aim to get in touch with members of the ACB in my area too. I am going to try and start to bridge the gap between the two...I hope. I don't know what the relationship is like here in Texas but I'm going to find out and get involved. I don't know much about the ACB but they're next on my list. Who says I can't belong to both right?
    I realize that until becoming blind I've never really had a cause. There are so many out there that I've heard of, but never gotten involved with. Being blind and learning how little is expected of the blind community was a shock to me and something that should not be accepted. Between the available training and technology there is almost no job that blind people can't do just as well as sighted people.
     Ray Kurzweil gave a speech in one of the general sessions. If you don't know that name then you need to so click on the link and read about him. The man has a way of thinking that I've never encountered before and while speaking he talked about how in the future, between technological and biological advances, we will reach a point in time when it won't matter at all if someone has sight or not. Opportunities will be the same for everyone and sight will not give the advantage it does now. Honestly I wish I could do him justice but it's an impossible task for me. 70% of blind people don't have jobs and many of those who do work are paid less than minimum wage mainly because employers and the general public don't know anything about blind people other than what they see in a movie or on TV. We all know that Hollywood is always 100% accurate right?
     This is part of the reason I enjoy running How to be Blind so much. Not only is it educational for blind people but it's eye opening to sighted people and gives them a much better idea of what blind people are capable of.. These are the sort of issues these organizations are trying to fix. . I feel like helping blind people live fulfilled lives is a cause I can support and I can't wait to dive into it.

    So now I'll step off my little soap box and tell those of you reading in Connecticut that I will be heading to your neck of the woods for the 3rd Annual Ride for Independence with Fidelco on the 21st of July. I'm going to try and talk them into letting me ride one of the motorcycles by myself so be sure to come out and support  me in my efforts. I'll probably need the backup, I don't think this will be something everyone will go for. I appreciate you in advance!
    If that doesn't get you interested, then just come out for the food, music, puppies, and to support an organization that is like family to us. I hope to see you there!

     Thank you all for reading. God bless!!!

2 comments:

  1. MIchael, I am SO glad you made it out to the National Convention!! How exciting! Did you run into my dad?? We miss you guys but are so excited for all you are doing to further such a worthy cause! Best of luck to you and your beautiful family!

    Jessica Checketts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      I sat with your dad and his brothers for most of my time there. He told me to tell you hi! I had a great time there and I learned a lot. We miss you guys and hope all is going well!

      Delete