As I was going through my recovery I had plenty of opportunities to travel and share my story at a variety of different events. I always enjoyed it and let's be real, who doesn't enjoy it when a room full of people cheers for you. It was a new feeling and one I found rather appealing..
Speaking as a career wasn't something I seriously considered until I started hearing feedback after I left the stage. One experience in particular stands out in my memory.
I was with my dad speaking at Air Force Senior Non Commissioned Officer Academy in Georgia which we had the opportunity to do on more than one occasion. We each told our respective parts of the story and like any good story teller tried to get the audience to experience the emotions we did while going through recovery.
When we were done we left the stage to the applause of the crowd and spent an extra 15 minutes shaking hands in the hallway and talking with the NCL's attending the course.
We then left the building and headed toward the car to go back to our hotel and as I loaded Xxon in the back a woman called out to us and asked us to wait.
Before I really knew what was going on I was scooped up in a giant hug and, while trying not to cry, this woman expressed her sincere gratitude to my dad and I for sharing our story with her.
She had been going through some difficult times of her own and my story about overcoming the loss of my vision struck a chord with her and helped her in a way that I had never considered.
This moment was the first time that I thought I should do this for a living. If my story can help people like this just by hearing it then why shouldn't I share it with everyone? It was moments like this that motivated me to begin this new career. I want to help heal others with my story. Share what I learned, how I overcame my challenges, and offer my thoughts and advice to anyone dealing with challenges of their own. I'm no expert by any means but I feel like my experiences set me apart from so many others out there. And of course if all else fails it's just a really good story so maybe that will help too.
I would like to ask all of you to share this blog, malarsie.com with anyone who you may think would be interested in the story I have to share. The best marketing tool is word of mouth and even if you don't know someone personally who may be interested in hearing what I've got to say you may know someone who does. Thank you all so much for your support in this new endeavor.
I'm sitting in Connecticut right now during the calm before the storm. From what I understand we have quite the media tour set up for tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it. These Fidelco trips are always busy but a blast! If you're in Connecticut and reading this I hope to see you at Fidelco's 3rd Annual Ride for Independence on Sunday! Xxon and I will be there and we hope you will be too.
Don't forget to Like the new Facebook page!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment