One of the coaches we had at the rowing camp was a guy who was 6'8" who, at an earlier point in life, was on the men's national team and was, well still is, a stud. He is now a Sergeant on the police force in New York. He knows his business and and helped everyone at the camp learn quite a bit.
Around mid week we were all in the gym warming up and getting ready to head out to the water. I had decided last minute to leave Xxon home not wanting him to be bored while we were out on the water so I was using the white cane I hate so much.
We gathered up, went over the plan for the next few hours, then were told to head to the boat bay.
I turned around and stuck my cane out to go. Right as I did this our giant of a coach was trying to squeeze past me to go talk with someone. When my cane went out, it went right between his legs and caught there perfectly.
I felt my cane bend an alarming amount then heard someone fall. I had no idea what had just happened until he was back on his feet asking me if my cane had been broken. Of course, having a bunch of military guys around, the laughter and jokes started immediately.
We all had a roommate and none of the totally blind people were with another totally blind person. My roommate was a Marine who had a fair amount of vision left and he helped direct me all over the place. I heard one of the other vets say,
"Dorrian get your blind guy under control before he hurts someone!"
We all had a good laugh and after a few David and Goliath jokes headed outside and continued the camp. Of course I apologized but I don't know how sincere it sounded through my laughing.
It's been quite entertaining how many situations like this being blind can land a person. People always say how terrible it must be being blind but I have to say I actually enjoy it. I mean, not only do I get do participate in camps like this and do things most "normal" people never get to do but somehow I always end up in strange and funny situations. There is just too much in life to enjoy to spend any time feeling sad about being blind. It's opened more doors than I ever could have imagined.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment