Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Scorpions

    If you've spent any time here in this part of the country you know that the occasional dangerous/poisonous critter is not at all unusual. You might recall the post from November 2011 when I almost stepped on the rattle snake in San Antonio. I've talked with some of you from the north and the frequency of these encounters is not only unusual but frightening.
    Just to illustrate the difference here let me talk about our 4 year old Kadence. This morning when we were getting our shoes on by the front door she stopped me and said,
    " Dad, there's a scorpion over there."
    Totally cool and collected. I was SO stinking proud of her. Most women, let alone little girls, would have run off screaming. Instead of doing that she just directed me toward it while I more or less stomp in place until we take care of it.
    This is somewhere around the sixth or seventh scorpion we've had to remove from the house and I'm quite impressed with all these girls and how they handle it. Even two year old Sophie has approached me and calmly announced that there's a scorpion in  the hall. Very proud of my girls.
    At the same time, all these encounters make me wonder how many times I've walked right next to one of these critters and not even known it. Proof that what you don't know can't hurt you right? I like to think so. I would be willing to bet that every one of us at some point has had a spider or two walk across us while we sleep. It's not unusual. I remember mice doing it in Afghanistan.
    Fortunately for Jesse's sanity we haven't had any snake encounters yet, knock on wood. They are doing construction to our left, behind us, and across the street so nature is disturbed to say the least. She is on her guard. We've taken turns with the weed eater keeping the trampoline and swing set as clear as possible.
    Landscaping and a back fence are all in the works right now but tis the season as they say so we are on a waiting list.

    Other than the weird construction workers staring at us any time we're outside life is just amazing! We have to keep a watch on Xxon because if he's left on his own for too long he will take his ball or stick over to the workers to try and get them to play. Jesse has come out and saved a few of them from a near heart attack. I guess X running through the weeds up to them isn't something they expect. I just smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment