Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Friday, May 10, 2013

Military Spouse Appreciation Day


   Hello all! This is a piece Jesse wrote for a friend's blog and I wanted to share it on here. 

   Military Spouse Appreciation Day. When I first became a military spouse I had no idea what I was in for. I learned quickly! I learned that a military wife plays a vital role in her husband's career. Whether it is politically correct or not. As the wife of an infantryman I learned a whole new world. Rank was essential even among the wives. My husband would be called in to work at 0230 for no apparent reason. He would pull 24 CQ duty. And this was normal. You didn't complain. You didn't complain when he was sent on a stateside deployment or TDY on a moment's notice. You get used to making dinner and having it go cold. You get used to a call coming in at 2355 saying he is on his way home and could I make him a steaming Epsom salt bath because he is aching from the rigors of "playing war." I remember helping him pack his ruck for the march the next day and patching up his calloused and bleeding feet that night. And then he deployed. 
   That day that we all know comes and that day that we all dread. It's all part of the job. You just suck it up and do the single mom thing for a while. And try not to worry about every knock on the door or ring of the telephone. You become wonder woman. And the whole time you don't complain. Whenever you hear the Star Spangled Banner pride swells up and encompasses your whole being. The 4th of July parade takes on a whole new meaning. Your children learn to know their father through Skype and phone calls. And this is all normal. And still you don't complain. 
   And sometimes, tragically, your title as military spouse changes to military widow. And for those of us that have been there you just keep going. You take their memory and make it into a legacy. You know that to keep living is to honor them and what they fought for. 
   Then in the middle of the heartbreak sometimes a miracle happens. This happened with me. I found love again; with a man that had been blinded in the same attack that took my first husband's life. So then I was not only a military spouse again but the wife of a wounded warrior. This time was very different from my first and I was nervous all over again. I had to learn yet another way of life. I had to learn to trust myself again and find the confidence and strength that had been shattered. For three years my husband continued to serve his country without sight. They asked him to share his story , to travel and to help others that were wounded, ill or injured. My biggest struggle was learning to be a spouse in the spotlight but like before there are no complaints. This is the new normal; this is the new mission. I did what I could to make all the transition easier for my husband. 
   A couple months ago my husband took the uniform off. He decided to medically retire and help others from the outside. So I am now learning to be a civilian wife. To be a retiree's wife. It is a lot different and it is harder than I thought it would be. I miss being a part of that world. I know that it will always be with me and that I have made lifelong friends. It is weird being on the outside though. This is our last mission so to speak. We have chosen to try and reach others so that they may have the smoothest recovery possible. We hope to reach out to the spouses/caretakers/family members so that they may know that they are appreciated and noticed also. 
   I have a huge respect for every spouse that stands beside their military member. It is not an easy life. No one has it easy. Families are forced to be separated, children grow up without a parent attending their games, recitals and achievements, spouses go to bed alone at night and try to wipe the tears off with the pillowcase. I want you all to know that you are not forgotten. You provide day to day support, you provide inspiration, you provide love and compassion. You are faithful and true. You raise noble families. You are the silent ranks. Each one of you has a purpose and you are very important. Never forget that. Even in the loneliest times or the most desperate of times remember your worth. I believe that spouses have to be stronger than the military member at times. Or all the time. I am proud to have been part of such a wonderful, strong and loving group. I applaud you all. I pray for you all. May you continue your missions and I thank you. Thank you for being you and for what you do.

~Jesse

1 comment:

  1. My son is Sean Casey-he worked with you in Kansas...I always read your blog- I worried along with Sean when you were injured in Afghanistan. I was very sad about your outcome but,my Lord, you have certainly made the very best of a horrid injury. Anyway, I told Sean when he went to visit you in California (I believe it was) to tell you to write a book about your experience. Now, reading what your wife has so beautifully written about her experiences, you need to write a book together. Seriously!!! You both write with so much humor,truth and inspiration...it would be a shame to not share it with others. Please excuse me putting in my 2 cents, but I have wanted to say this for a long time. I think of you both often and marvel at your achievements and faith...that faith has really been key I believe! May God continue to look down on you Lassie-if I may call you that-and bless your family.

    ReplyDelete