Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Retirement Ceremony

    Friday the 15th was my retirement ceremony. It was bitter sweet but I was eagerly awaiting it's arrival. It marks the beginning of the next chapter of our lives after all. The last three years we've just been waiting for one thing after another with the future being pretty uncertain. Finally that is all over but I've had to hang my uniform up for good to make it happen.
    The ceremony went really well and they even presented me with the Air Force Commendation Medal  before they went into all the certificates from senior AF leaders and the president.
    I was handling everything really well until it came time for me to speak. My sister Lisa had the foresight to record what I said so I can share it with you all.

Check it out
   
I was doing really well until I started saying goodbye  which was when reality hit like a ton of bricks. I never cry but I lost it on that stage for a little while. Fortunately Sophie was there to call my name and walk up to me and say good morning. It was the perfect time for a distraction. I'm so blessed to have the family I do.
    You'll remember that I almost went to the Airman Leadership School but ended up deciding not to at the last moment because I decided to get out. Well they didn't forget me. They came out and made me an honorary graduate and presented us with an amazing plaque with a statue of two soldiers on it. One of them is laying on his back and the other is kneeling above him with all his gear. It is absolutely amazing!


    It's amazing that it is all coming to an end. The military was supposed to be my home for at least 20 years after all. Now here I am,. retiring 14 years earlier than expected. Sad and exciting all at the same time.

    I want to say thanks to everyone who did so much to help out with the ceremony and make things happen. I know there was a lot of work that went into it and we really do appreciate it. We have made friends that we will never forget and will miss terribly. Thanks also to all the family and friends who came to support us in this closing of an amazing chapter of our lives.

I'm excited to find out what happens next…I guess I need a job so spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment