Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Outprocessed

Yesterday was one of the days I've been dreading. For those of you who haven't been around the military out processing is one of the most tedious and frustrating experiences that one must go through. The usual checklist has something like two full pages of boxes that need to be checked and signatures that need to be collected. The worst part is that usually all the people who need to sign are never around or would ask me to come back. I think it's fair to say that everyone dreads the entire process.
    Everyone that we've worked with at the Patient Squadron here has been awesome. They were quick to get us help when we needed it and always offered it when we didn't think we needed it. We really got to like the folks down there even though nobody ever stayed more than a few months it seemed.
    There is one individual who went above and beyond though and I want to make sure I give him the thanks be deserves. We went to Lackland for the last time on active duty yesterday to out process. The entire process took us only a few hours and it was only that long because we had to get new ID cards and wait for Tricare paperwork to get filled out. Other than doing that and dropping some forms off Trevor Brown handled everything for us.
    He arranged the required briefings to come to us while the movers were packing, he sent us all the forms and walked us through how to fill them out. He went well above and beyond what we were expecting.
    Since getting to know Trevor, I've learned that this is just how he does business. He took me to a lot of appointments at BAMC and just about everyone we passed recognized him and always stopped to say hi. He is one of those guys that everyone likes…as long as they're doing their job right. He is a patient advocate and not the kind of person you want to get caught by when your trying to cut corners.
    He has been instrumental in our entire stay at Lackland and has become a really good friend. Our thanks and gratitude go out to Trevor and all the work he did for us to make our last day on base a breeze.

    Tomorrow is my official last day in the Air Force. I was able to wear my uniform for the last time to out process yesterday. It's really weird to think that in about a day I will be Mr. Malarsie again. That just sounds weird to me.
   People always ask what the plan is next. Honestly, I don't know yet. I have a trip to Fidelco on the books and have signed up for a rowing camp this summer in Oklahoma but other than that things are wide open. I know I am going to start back to school. I don't know when or exactly what for. My adventures into podcasting over the last few months have got me quite interested in computers and technology so I'm considering that. I would love the ability to think of an app or program I wish they had for blind folks and sit down and design it myself instead of just hoping someone else does it.
    I just don't know though. Ideas come and go as fast as the days are passing and I have decided to just take my time, enjoy this home and my family, and figure out what I really want to do with my life. I guess.   The future is wide open and there are so many options out there. I want to make sure I explore them all and make the best choice for myself and for the family. That being said, if you have ideas let me know!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment