Hello everyone, this is Jim, Michael's dad. It's been quite a while since I posted anything here. As Michael got better, I figured he could take over the duties of keeping you all informed of his progress. Once in a while, when I thought I had something worthwhile to add, I'd drop a line or two but for the most part I've stayed on the sidelines and cheered him on. The reason for my post is simple, Michael is too humble to blow his own horn (but I'm not!). During the last week of March, Roxann and I drove to San Antonio for a very special and solemn event. On Friday the 30th, Michael was awarded the Bronze Star Medal with Valor. Major General Byron Hepburn, 59th Medical Wing Commander, presented the award in front of a full house in the auditorium at Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center on Lackland Air Force Base. When I told friends (military veterans) that Michael was receiving the Bronze Star, they didn't seem too impressed until I said it was "with valor". I did some research and found the following: The Bronze Star medal is an individual military decoration that may awarded for bravery, acts of merit, or meritorious service. As a medal, it is awarded for merit but with the "V" for valor device, it is awarded for heroism. With the "V" device, it is the 4th highest combat award of the U.S. Armed Forces. Although Michael barely recalls what happened that day, Maj Gen Hepburn read the report of the event to the audience. While on a dismounted foot patrol, working air support near the village of Bagvan, the man in front of Michael stepped on an Improvised Explosive Device (IED). After being blown off the bridge, Michael was pulled from the water by Brian Bowman. After being bandaged by Bowman and Brad Smith, Michael struggled to find his weapon and join in the firefight despite the fact he couldn't aim. Struggling to remove the bandages and join in, he was 'persuaded' he should be still and wait for help. Michael continued to support his fellow servicemen by throwing them his own ammunition as theirs ran out. They were able to keep this pace until they were rescued. I'm sure Michael would be embarrassed to talk of this in public. He has no problem bragging about running marathons and lifting weights but this award ties directly to the event that so radically changed his life forever. He lives with thoughts and memories of the guys that didn't come home and finds it difficult to celebrate an achievement that came at such a high price. Michael, as an American I thank you for your service and sacrifice. I commend you on this prestigious award and your continuing efforts to remain on active duty and assist other service members. I applaud all you've accomplished to date. As your dad, I'm just plain old 'proud'. I love you son.
A few pictures of the gathering afterwords...









LOL at the picture with SrA Lemus...
ReplyDelete