Michael was deployed from Fort Riley, KS to Afghanistan the first week of December 2009. He was stationed at FOB Wilson, near Kandahar. On January 3, 2010, while on a routine foot patrol, he was seriously injured by an IED. The same event claimed the lives of his Air Force companion and three soldiers from Fort Carson, CO.
This blog chronicles the events of Michael's life from his injury to the present day. He is now the author of this blog; is married, is a father and lives in Texas with his guide dog, Xxon. His injuries are now healed, he is retired from the U.S. Air Force and is planning on what to do for his next adventure.















Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A little thrill...



 I have a great story for you all that has left Jess and I a little nervous.

The other night I went in the back yard to move some of Kates toys around so they don't kill the grass. I was carrying a little picnic table of hers along the side of the house. I was about arms length away from the house. I walked like ten feet and stopped and dropped the table.

As I dropped the table I heard a sound right to my left that for a split second I thought it was the sprinklers coming on. I turned toward the sound and remembered our sprinklers don't come on at that time and jumped back realizing what it really was.

Laying right next to the house was a rattle snake a little over two feet long.I was standing no more than a foot and a half away from the thing!!! It could have gotten me if it had wanted to. Apparently the man upstairs is watching over me ha ha.

So I walked over to the back door and threw Xxon inside. He was standing behind me during the encounter, probably using me as a shield so he could look at it. I called to Jess and asked her to come here.She said sure and asked what was going on. She could hear the snake rattling. I told her what it was and she came right over.

Jesse HATES snakes with a passion. She poked herhead around the corner and confirmed that yes indeed, there was a snake in our yard.Before calling the neighbors she tried to get a picture of it on her phone. It was dark and she didn't want to go any closer to it so the picture isn't super clear.

We called one of our Air Force neighbors and he came right over. After looking at the snake for a bit he said he had never done anything like this before. He turned to us and said "I'll call the Marine."

His neighbor is a Marine and he came right over, wearing a Marine shirt and all. He brought a rake and some big bush trimmer things.

Together they pinned the snake and killed it. Maybe under normal circumstances we would have called someone to come and catch it but not that night. It was like 9:00pm and I was mad at this snake for scaring me and I wanted to make sure it never came back when my kids or dog might be outside playing.

I hope his friends saw what happened. Maybe it will keep em away.


No comments:

Post a Comment