Greetings readers. So I don't really have any new updates to talk about but I wanted to write a little bit of something I have been thinking about.
As you all know, I am living in San Antonio and my job is to help wounded, ill, and injured. Now that is really simplifying things but we don't need any mor detail to carry on here.
Society today is taking much better care of their wounded warriors. There are So many awesome organizations out there that do some really amazing things and there is so much opportunity for guys like myself to get out and do something awesome.
This is great. We should be taking care of our wounded warriors so don't think I have an issue with that. But within that is the problem. There are SO many service members that have had to spend a lot of time in a hospital or getting treatment for reasons other than combat injuries. As a good friend of mine put it, it is "sexy" to be wounded in combat these days. But what about everyone else? There are huge numbers of service members being injured in car wrecks, botched surgeries, and accidents. Not to mention those who are diagnosed with cancer or another awful illness.
To my knowledge the military and government are taking good care of these folks so I am not writing this to spark a movement and create change. I am just writing this to make sure that all of you think about those who are suffering for other reasons. There are folks who, like me, have had their aspirations and life goals changed and their dreams ruined. All I ask is for you all to think about them. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
I know people who have deployed and fought in these wars and come home safe just to be injured at home and basically forgotten about society.
That is why I love Veterans Day. It isn't just for the war wounded. It is for everyone that has served. Whether someone was injured in war or at home, or has gotten out and retired safe. These amazing people deserve the honor and respect they have earned regardless of how they have served. Keep all of our wounded, ill, and injured service members in your thoughts and prayers. They all need them.
I do have a good story from work now that I think about it.
I work in a very large building and there are a ton of people here. My office door opens onto one of the main halls and I often prop the door open so people cam come say hi to Xxon.
Well today someone walked past the door bouncing a ball....for any of you who know Xxon at all you know he loves playing fetch. Any sort of ball will earn you a place in his heart forever. Well he heard this ball and when the guy came into view X jumped right up and bolted out of the door after him.
The guy was startled to say the least. I am sure he was not expecting a large German Shepherd to come charging out of one of the offices. I called X back and the guy came over to apologize for getting the dog to run out of the office. I assured him that it was no problem and we talked for a little while. The entire time Xxon sat right in front of this guy not once taking his eyes off of the ball he was holding.
He was very sad when the guy left and didn't give Xxon his ball. So sad that he just went and layed on his bed on the opposite side of the room. It took about thirty minutes for him to get back up and get over his disappointment. I love this dog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment